Search This Blog

Monday, July 17, 2023

7/17/23 Report - New 1715 Fleet Find. Bronze Age Comb and Hair Ring. More On Local Mystery Find.

 

Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


Source: See LiveScience link below.


Archeologists in Wales have unearthed a glitzy, golden hair-ring and the oldest wooden comb ever found in the U.K. from a roadside burial pit dating back to the Bronze Age.

The pit contained the 3,000-year-old remains of a person who was cremated with the glamorous artifacts, which may have facilitated the "extremely rare survival" of the comb as charcoal, according to a statement.

"The gold ring is obviously the most eye-catching object to accompany the cremation," Dave Gilbert, project excavator and the director of operations at Red River Archeology, a U.K.-based archaeological firm, said in the statement. "However, the most important artifact is what may at first glance seem the more mundane: the wooden comb, which is a find without parallel in Wales, if not the U.K."...

Here is the link for the rest of that article.

'Eye-catching' gold hair ring and Britain's oldest wooden comb found in Bronze Age burial | Live Science

Yesterday, I think it was, I mentioned that some sites use stock photos showing articles other than the actual items described in the article.  Another article that talked about the same eight-tined comb, used the following photo, which looks nothing like the one found.

Notice at the bottom of the photo where it says "Public Domain Photo."  I've seen that kind of thing a lot lately.  You can't assume that a photo in an article shows the actual item that is discussed in the article.  

Here is the link to the article using the public domain comb photo rather than the actaul cob referred to by the article.

Oldest Wooden Comb, Gold Hair Ring Discovered in British Bronze Age Burial, Revealing Prehistoric Craftsmanship | Science Times

---

On the Treasure Coast last month the crew of the M/V Lilly May found the remnants of a large ornated footed silver tray at the Cabin Wreck site.

Thanks to DJ for alerting me to that.

---

Yesterday I posted a photo of this mystery find for ID.


Treasure Coast Mystery Item by Dan K.

I asked for K for additional information on that item.  Here is what he said.  

Thank you for your email. The item is about 6-8 inches. I’m not quite sure what kind of material it would be but I would describe it as a metal. The back of the item is similar to the front (see the picture below of the back...  I did some research online and found the item below. It’s the closest thing I have found online to the one I found. Thank you again!

And here is a similar item that Dan was able to find online.  It is described as a Romanesque crucifix.


"Romanesque" doesn't tell a lot.  It is more crucifix than pendant size.  I wondered why there was no hole at the feet of Dan's item, but if Dan's find was constructed like the one being sold as lot 6162, the tab for the bottom hole might have broken off.  Maybe he can tell if it looks like that was the case.  In Dan's photo, it looks like there could be the smallest remnant of a tab under the feet.  I can't guess about the age of the item at this point without additional contextual information or testing.  

In an additional follow-up Dan said...


Another interesting note about the item - it is a woman with female anatomical features. Not sure what the significance of a crucified woman would be, but I’m very interested to know any details about the possible age or origin of the item. I’m assuming at some point this would have been attached to some form of a cross. 



I know I've seen female figures on a cross. The angle of the arms seems a bit odd. A little research should turn up the significance of the figure.

Let me know if you can find anything. Any thoughts on the item would be appreciated.

---

Good hunting,

Treasureguide@comcast.net


---


A scuba diver found a woman's $9,500 wedding ring after she lost it in a 45-foot-deep California lake (msn.com)

I've noticed lately that some articles used publish public domain pictures with articles rather than pictures of the specific item referred to in the article.  There are times when that is not a problem, but it can be a problem when the item shown in the public domain picture varies in some significant way from the actual item.  For example, I just noticed that one article on the bronze age comb and hair ring showed an old wooden comb, but it had more tines and was in much better condition than the one found by archaeologists and referred to in the article.  That is just something to be careful about.  I suppose I've posted pictures like that from articles without realizing it.  I'll try to point that out when I notice it, but you need to be aware and check for yourself when it might be important to you.

---


When I was in high school our football coach taught us almost nothing.  I'm not complaining, that is the way it was back in those days for rural schools.  The coach volunteered.  I don't know if he even played football himself or at what level.  Kids today are have so many advantages.  They have organized leagues in grade school and get more training at Pee Wee league than I got in high school and even college, for that matter.  Although I played a lot with the neighborhood kids and learned through practicing on my own to punt and kick well enough that it helped put me through college, that was something I could learn by doing it myself.  I really got no instruction.  The most direction I got in high school was in a game when the coach yelled in during a game telling me to rush the passer.  That is about the entire extent of coaching that I got.  Nobody told me much, if anything, about my responsibilities as a defensive end, which I now understand in retrospect from watching TV and reading about football.

So what does that have to do with metal detecting?  Metal detecting is similar.  You have access to tons of information.  There was a time, when most people were pretty much on their own.  Because of my personality, I don't take advantage of what others could teach me, even if they offered.  I like experimenting and learning from experience.  I do learn from reading, but other wise it is mostly personal experience.  I enjoy the learning process.  It is a type of discovering.  But for those who are more adept a learning from others, you can benefit from years of experience they you don't have to go through yourself.  


A scuba diver found a woman's $9,500 wedding ring after she lost it in a 45-foot-deep California lake (msn.com)


---.  

If the NBA, NFL, ESPN, Hersey's, Ben and Jerry's, Budweiser, Disney, CBS, NBC, New York Times, Washington Post, Investor's Business Daily, would stay out of politics, you might think I could too, but even if I did nothing and were blind to the fact, I would still be assaulted by politics.  


There would be those who would reach into my life to determine what car I can drive, what I can say or read on twitter, and even what medical decisions I make, how much my gas and food will cost and where a good portion of my money will go, so even if I sat in my room and covered my head with a blanket, I would still be involved in politics.  But when I see homeless people strung out and dying in the sewers, innocent preschoolers being indoctrinated and used for political purposes, innocent people being killed by bombs, churches being attacked, justice being perverted, and at a time when racism and human relations could be at a level scarcely dreamed of in the past, greedy misguided politicians inflame division for their own purposes. 










---