Search This Blog

Friday, July 28, 2023

7/28/23 Report - Fort Harrison Seminole War Fort Hoard. Hinsdale Farm Site. Getting Hooked On Lures.

 

Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


A Very Few of the Fishing Lures I've Picked Up.

Like almost anything, fishing lures are collectible and vintage lures in great condition can be worth a lot.  

While the finest antique lures can be worth a lot, they are something like modern U/S. coins - its not likely you will find one in the wild that is in great condition.  And that is what collectors want.

I still look and am glad to find the rare vintage wood lure.  I once found a mid-century glow-in-the-dark lure.  It worked like the old plastic icicle tree Christmas tree ornaments that when exposed to light, phosphors int eh plastic would be activated, and the icicles would glow for a while after the lights were turned out.

I collect the lures I find not because they are valuable, but because I can use them after I put new hooks on them.  I like trying out various types of lures to see how they work.  So when I find a lure it is worth what I might have paid for it minus the cost of new hooks.

I also pick up lures because to me they are pop art.  They can be colorful and have interesting shapes.  I might someday try to create some found art from my lure finds.  I've have some ideas for that.   Seems they would make a nice mobile.  I could say they are alluring.

I once got alure stuck in my foot when foot fanning for a target in shallow water, so removing them might keep someone else from getting hooked.

---

I've been posting a little information on a variety of coin and hoard sites.  I'll mention a few more today.

A hoard of 40 half dollars dating from 1841 to1843 was found at the original site of Fort Harrison, which was built during the Second Seminole War.  The fort was on a pine bluff overlooking Clearwater Bay/

According to the records of the War Department of the United States, Fort Harrison, formerly Clearwater Harbor, Florida was established April 2nd, 1841. It was located in latitude 28 about thirty miles west of Fort Brooke, and stood on a pine bluff twenty five feet above the level of the sea, fronting on a bay been two and three miles wide...

Location. 27° 57.433′ N, 82° 48.244′ W. Marker is in Clearwater, Florida, in Pinellas County...


Here are a couple links for more on that fort.

Fort Harrison Historical Marker (hmdb.org)

Also: Fort Harrison, Florida - Wikipedia

---

Many coins were found on the Hinsdale Farm, a historic site near Pensacola, which was occupied from 1750  to 1821.  The coins included a lot of Charles III reales as well Charles IV, Philip V, and Ferdinand VI coins.  

Back a few decades ago I hunted the Pensacola area frequently when I visited the Naval Air Station on consulting jobs.

Fortunately, air travel was much better back then.  I would leave Fort Lauderdale on an early flight and arrive for work in Pensacola by 9 AM, being benefited by the time zone change.  No TSA lines.

Speaking of lines.  A few days ago, a number of news articles were talking about the very small crowds at Disney over the 4th of July weekend.  I remember one mentioning the smallest crowds in a long time.  I forget the time period they mentioned, but I know it was wrong in that detail.  I was there on two occasions when I'm sure the crowds were smaller.

One was right after 911.  I was in Orlando for a professional conference at a hotel on Buena Vista Drive, or is it Boulevard, and went over to Disney.  It was empty.  The flights were shut down and nobody was traveling.  NO lines.  Almost no people.  You could walk onto any attraction without pausing or or waiting at all.

The second time was right after the Covid pandemic started.  Most of the resorts were closed and not reopened for a long time. No lines or waiting.  

---

A single 1739 eight-reale was said to be found at Lake Eustis in 1955.  I can't make out any more details in my notes.  I'll leave it at that.

Of course, if you are interested you can follow any of these leads by doing your own research.  There are many places to hunt and still a lot to be found.

---

Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.


I checked one of the models on windy.com and it looks like none of these areas will develop into anything that will improve beach conditions much.

I'm just seeing more south and west winds, but nothing big.

Good hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net





Pensacola area, Hinsdale Farm, archaeological excavation.  Habitationof site appears to range fro 1750 - 1821.  Mostly Charles III, but also Charles IV,  Philip V, and Gerdinand VI.


an Eight reale was found a Lake Eustis.