Search This Blog

Saturday, July 22, 2023

7/22/23 Report - Four-Year-Old Finds Coins in Miami Mud Pies. Ordnance Off Pepper. Steamship Wrecking Yields Gold.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.



Thanks to DJ for submitting that.
--- 

I've been posting some Florida treasure sites and hoards that I found described in some of my old notes.  Here is a great example.

Kids should play outside and get dirty.  There are many benefits, as the following 1928 Miami Herald newspaper clipping shows.  




Many treasures, including treasure chests have been discovered in the Coconut Grove, Miami and Key Biscayne areas.  Each of those, being close together, had wells or places where ships would stop for fresh water.

The coins, dating from 1683 to 1793, and being both British and Spanish silver and copper, sounds like a true hoard.

I've talked about the benefits of sifting coin bearing ground in the past.  I like this fellow's technique.

---


The next clipping is from 1923.




Source of photo: SS Yorktown - Wikipedia


Again Id like to have more information about the coins, which might have come from Spanish prisoners of war..  Can't say for sure though.

Back then there weren't as many photos.  Most illustrations were drawings.

---


I took a look at Windy.com to see if that system to the south might come our way.  It looks like it will stay south and hardly affect us.

It does look, however, like the wind direction will change in a few days, but not be very strong.

I would have taken a walk to search for surface items yesterday, but it was so hot and I was so tired that I passed on it.  I am turning into a real whimp.  Spent a couple days this week with mom on medical issues on top of normal daily duties, which was stressful and tiring.

Yesterday I talked about some good sites in the Florida Keys.  I plan to do more of those in the near future.

Good hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net