Search This Blog

Sunday, July 23, 2023

7/23/23 Report - Shower of Coins. Glass Tube Gold Finder. Stoneware Foot Warmer. Walt Disney History.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


Stoneware Piece Found Saturday.

I haven't been hunting much lately due to some family medical issues, but I did get out for a little walk Saturday.  I didn't find much, but I did pick up this broken stoneware piece that I think was a foot warmer.  It would be filled with hot water.  Maybe with some cleaning I can find some marks.

I also picked up the worn body of an old wood fishing lure.  Too bad it wasn't more complete.

---

Yesterday I posted a clipping about a man in Miami sluicing his yard after his daughter found gold coins making mud pies.  Today I have another Miami treasure clipping, but this one (above) ends with different results.

1915 Newspaper Clipping.

I'm curious about the "glass-tubed instrument which he contends indicated either gold or silver was buried at the spot."  I wasn't able to find anything like that when I looked but seem to recall a similar device in which samples of the desired materials were placed.  I think maybe it was something like a dowsing device, but I'd love to find out more about it even if it didn't work.  It might be interesting to compile a brief history of quack gold finding devices.  The problem is there would be a lot of disagreement about which are fakes.

I didn't really plan on doing this, but while I have these clippings in hand, I better post them now before they get misplaced or forgotten. 

Here is a clipping that describes a shower of coins.  

1915 Newspaper Clipping.

So here is a cache of Spanish and U.S. coins from the 1850s accidentally discovered by workmen, as so many are.

---

In the modern era, Disney became a large part of modern Florida history.  I've read a few books on Walt Disney, but the one shown below is one of the more complete at nearly a thousand pages.  Talk about a treasure story!  There is more history in the parks than you might think.  For example, if you visit the Wilderness Lodge or the Animal Kingdom Resort, you'll see a lobby that shows the influence of the Jackson Lake lodge (which I've commented on in the past) that Walt visited when making a documentary.

Large Walt Disney History Book.

Still living up north, I visited Disney World not long after it opened.  I have picked up a few Disney artifacts on the Treasure Coast.  You can undoubtedly find them anywhere.  I once posted a picture of a broken Donald Duck figure I found, that if unbroken and new would have looked like the one below.


In the past I posted some great Disney finds, such as a very nice gold Mickey Mouse ring found by one of the readers of this blog.  For example, see The Treasure Beaches Report Direct From Florida's Treasure Coast.: 9/23/11 Report - Gold Mickey Mouse Ring Find & Mucking the River Banks

For those interested in Florida history, how the land in Central Florida was secretly purchased for the theme parks might be of interest.  It sure changed Central Florida.

---

Source:  nhc.noaa.gov

I have several things planned for the near future.  For one thing, I'll probably get back to some of the wreck and coin sites in the Keys.

Don is still a tropical storm but will do nothing for us.  The other weather to the south will develop a little but will not help us out either unless there is some surprising change.

Good hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net