Search This Blog

Thursday, July 13, 2023

7/13/23 Report - Fort Pierce Civil War Shipwreck. Reales Found Years Ago At Spruce Creek. Florida Heat.

 

Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Flat Water On a Treasure Coast Morning.

---


Clipping Snowing Remains of Civil War Wreck Located South of Fort Pierce.

I was going to post this earlier, but I put this it aside for a few days or so and forgot where I got it, and now I can't find the source.  The author of the article is John Bartlett.  If you know where it came from, let me know so I can properly credit it.  The publication date would also be very helpful.

The wreck was found exposed after the dunes of South Hutchinson Island eroded.  It was judged to be about 150 years old.

According to the article, "The other half of the wreck was subsequently found in a mangrove swamp about a 110 yards inland."  That is something very interesting to me. 

---

Yesterday I mentioned maravedis discovered up in the Florida Panhandle.  Today I'll mention and Florida East Coast discovery of a Charles and Johanna 2-reales and Charles and Johanna 4-reales in a mound by Spruce Creek, which is a tributary of the Halifax River.

Thought to be from the 1550s, an archaeologist excavated the coins from an indigenous burial in 1871.

The coins were thought to be salvaged from early shipwrecks.  How far they were transported from any wreck or how the coins were actually obtained is unknown.

---

I have tons of notes on finds, sites and wrecks but am having difficulty cross referencing them all so I'm posting them somewhat randomly.  I've accumulated so many notes on sites and finds that I'm unable to organize and cross reference them all.

---

Newly Hatched Zebra Longwing Butterfly.

You might remember that I became interested in the Zebra Longwing butterflies (Florida's State butterfly) when I was metal detecting in a wooded area one evening and noticed and a group of them gathering to roost.  My wife raises butterflies now, and we released three newly emerged Zebra Longwings, including the one shown above a couple days ago.  The day before that, a small, deformed Zebra emerged from a chrysalis.  It was missing a left back wing, and I worried that it wouldn't be able to survive.  I didn't know if it would be able to fly, but when I took it out and set it on a flower, it took off and flew surprisingly well.  It seemed to me that it had to flap its wings harder than a normal Zebra Longwing would, but I was glad to see how well it did.   Daily I look around hoping to see the little handicapped butterfly doing well.

---

CNN says....

A sudden marine heat wave off the coast of Florida has surprised scientists and sent water temperatures soaring to unprecedented highs, threatening one of the most severe coral bleaching events the state has ever seen.

Sea surface temperatures around Florida have reached the highest levels on record since satellites began collecting ocean data...

That would be about forty years.  Not very long.

Here is that link.

Florida extreme ocean heat could trigger one of the state's worst coral bleaching events | CNN


Another article on the same topic.

Water temperatures in the mid-90s (mid-30s Celsius) are threatening delicate coral reefs, depriving swimmers of cooling dips and adding a bit more ick to the Sunshine State’s already oppressive summer weather. Forecasters are warning of temperatures that with humidity will feel like 110 degrees (43 degrees Celsius) by week’s end.

If that’s not enough, Florida is about to get a dose of dust from Africa’s Saharan desert that’s likely to hurt air quality...

And here is that link.

Florida in hot water as ocean temperatures rise along with the humidity | AP News

---

No big changes in the weather or surf.  

I noticed a little circulation in the Gulf but it doesn't look like it will develop.  We'll still get mostly west and south winds for a while.

Good hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net