Search This Blog

Saturday, February 10, 2024

2/10/23 Report - Reader Mystery Find Relative to 2/6 Item. Time to Consign Again. 16th - 17th Century Portuguese Coins Found.

 

Written by the Treasurguide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report. 



Find by JohnC.

In a response to my 2/6 post, below is what John C, had to say about his find shown above.

Sorry a little late in responding to your post from 3,4 days ago, But as soon as I saw your picture, I knew right away it looked familiar, I thought I had it somewhere on my phone gallery pictures, But I couldn't find it, So I had to figure out where it was, and Take some new pictures, Mine looks like it's broken in half, And may have had the double curloop design, Like yours, ? only minus the Stones, Unfortunately, I really don't know exactly where I found it,  It was a long time ago, But I would say pretty certain, somewhere on the treasure coast, But maybe space Coast, 

one of the coolest artifacts I seem Dug, Was a friend,who had just pulled this Beautiful,, silver stirrup, It was Beautiful, old silver tarnished, 1715, But really ornate,
  
So thanks, you're blog has been very informative, And has helped me identify quite a few of my, Unknown, items, over the years,

Thanks John

Does indeed look like one of those (whatever they are called), which makes me feel slightly more confident about the identify of mine.  Anyone know what those things are called?







---

From Sedwick...


---

16th - `17th century Portuguese India coin hoard found.

In mid-November, Vishnu Joshi encountered the coin find in a small clay pot that disintegrated once handled while clearing his cashew orchard in Nanoda Sattari. Nanoda Sattari is a village in rural Goa that became an important trading hub for the Eastern spice trade in the area that was occupied by Portugal. Goa became the capital of the entire Portuguese Empire east of the Cape of Good Hope.

Portugal conquered Goa from the Bijapur Sultanate in 1510. Portuguese general, admiral, and statesman Afonso de Albuquerque and first Duke of Goa, expanded Portuguese influence while he was viceroy of Portuguese India from 1509 to 1515. Goa became a major port for the Portuguese armadas sailing into India. Goa was conjoined to modern India in 1961.

Joshi said of the coin find, “We were about in the cashew grove clearing along with some workers when we found these coins. There are 826 in total, and we tried to clean some and realized they are copper with some unknown inscription on them. It appears that they were stored here as a buried treasure.”...

Here is the link for more about that.

16th - 17th century Portuguese India Coins Found - Numismatic News

---

Surf Chart From SurfGuru.com.

Good hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net