Search This Blog

Monday, February 19, 2024

2/19/23 Report - A Variety of Miscellaneous Old Finds Including Some Mystery Items for Identification.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Gold Filled Watch Chain and Fob.
\

In my 2/5/23 post I took a look at a variety of old finds from a little basket that was in oe of my drawers.  It contained a variety of miscellaneous finds from the past.  I showed some of them in the 2/5 post, but.I didn't get through all of the items, and then I got off on some other topics.  Today I wanted to take a look at some of the other finds in the little basket. One of the cool things about metal detector finds, is that you can study some of them a long time before figuring out everything you might want to know about them. You might not know what they are, how old they are, or other more specific details.  As I've shown, it can take a long time, even years. to correctly identify some items.

Here is one that I found in the basket.  It is a watch gold-filled watch chain.  But what I noticed when I looked at it this time, is the little slider on it (shown below).  Does it remind you of anything else I talked about in recent posts?



Slider on Antique Watch Chain.

To me, it looks something like this slider, which I think I finally figured out was used on a horse harness.  Still, it is seems constructed for chains to go through it. 


One of the things I like about metal detecting is the large variety of items you can find and hte many mysteries or puzzles the detectorist encounters.

I didn't even know what the watch chain was when I first found it but have learned enough over the years that now I know.  You never stop learning, and the more variety you encounter, the more you will learn.

Another old find I found stored in the basket of miscellaneous items is the copper piece shown below.  I have no idea what this one is.  It is thin and convex.  It looks like there could have once been some pins sticking out from the concave side (not shown) but they are not there now.  Just some spots that look like there were once a few attached.

Mystery Item.

It most reminds me of a butt plate, but it isn't symmetrical, so I don't think that is it, but maybe something like that.  I really don't know.  What do you think?

Here are some of the other items in the box.

There are some unknowns in there, a couple earrings, a small religious medallion, a cross, a very small broken Mini Mouse head, a bullet, a percussion cap, a little broken silver heart, and a silver cat's head finger ring.

Notice the other side of the copper mystery item.

Most were found on the Treasure Coast but the silver cat's head finger ring was found in the Carribean when I was on vacation.  Just an odd bunch of miscellaneous items that weren't stored along with others of the same category.  There are some I had out at one time and just yet.

Silver Cat Head Finger Ring.

I remember exactly where I found the cat head ring.

Here is a mystery item from Anthony R.


I received these find photos and the following email from Anthony R.

Found this after 10 scoops at Jensen Beach today. Strong 48 on my Nokta Legend. And strong 48 when I got it home. Mid-slope on wet/dry sand.
Any thoughts on what this might be ?
Looks like part of an old ship to me.
Many thanks,
Anthony R


What do you think and why?

---t

As you know, the blog has become huge and includes not only tbr2020.blogspot.com but also treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Someone asked the best way to search the blog.  Of course that depends upon what you want to find.  

I always try to use certain key words when applicable to items shown in posts.  For example, 1715 Fleet, Treasure Coast, reales, escudo, silver, gold, shipwreck, Atocha, etc.  Those are some you might try.  Practice will help.  I am also trying to be more complete in labeling posts, but some posts or topics can still difficult to find, especially older ones.

---

Surf Chart from SurfGuru.com.

As you can see the higher surf is now predicted for Thrursday.

We had a north wind and some cooler air move in.  The tides are moderate, and the swell is northeast.

Good hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net