Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 20, 2024

2/20/23 Report - Alligator Full of Coins. Florida Wildlife Control Arrests Looters. Washing is Better. What Got You Started.

 

Written by the TreaureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


An alligator at a US zoo had to undergo surgery after veterinarians discovered 70 coins in the animal's stomach.

The coins were found in a rare, 36-year-old leucistic alligator, which has translucent white skin and blue eyes.

Veterinarians identified "metal foreign objects in the stomach of an iconic resident" - Thibodaux.

The Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium in Omaha, Nebraska said patrons threw coins into the enclosure, which were eaten by the animal between cleanings.

He has recovered from the procedure and is back in his habitat....

Here is that link.


US zoo extracts 70 coins from white alligator (msn.com)

People do throw a lot of coins in the water at places like amusement parks.  

This story also reminds me of the time I was startled by an alligator hiding in the much in the river.  When I got too close, he suddenly made a ruckus.  I only saw one yellow eye sticking out of the muck and was going to take a closer look at what it was.  

---

FWC officers caught two people illegally collecting over 200 artifacts from an archaeological site in an FWC Wildlife Management Area.

According to FWC, the incident occurred at the Withlacoochee State Forest.

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) officers arrested Zane Anthony Golas and Amanda Frances Hahn for Wildlife Management Area (WMA) violations.

In total, 224 artifacts were taken as evidence...

Here is the link.

Two arrested after collecting over 200 artifacts from FWC archaeological site (nbc-2.com)

Cutting or damaging plants at a state park is also a crime.

Thanks to William K. for the link.

---

I've seen detectorists at the water's edge dig wet sand and do the dump, check, kick and spread recovery technique.  It is what everyone seems to do when working in wet sand.  They dump the sand out, check with their detector to see if the target was in the pile of dug sand, and if it is, spread the sand with their foot to find the target.  Sometimes the dirt has to be spread multiple times before the target is located with a located visually even if the target is found to be in the last dug pile of sand.  

You only need an inch or two of water to use the water to quickly sift the sand so if you have enough water, that technique is often quicker than spread the dirt with your foot to find the target.  And the inch or two water can be temporary from a wave or accumulated in the dug hole.  Using water to quickly sift the sand will usually be quicker, unless you have a lot of shells or rocks in the scoop.  Sometimes just taking just a step or two towards the water, will get you to enough water that you can use it to sift your dug sand.

I'd advise the water technique over the kick and spread technique a lot of the time.

---

Sunday I told how my first exposure to pirates and sailing ships was probably Peter Pan.  How were you first introduced to pirates and treasure ships.    

What first got you interested in treasure hunting.  I've heard a number of people say it was reading Treasure Island.  Other's said it was Indiana Jones.  What was it for you?

It always amazes me how many people ask me about metal detecting.  If I was curious, I'd probably just try it myself, which is what I did.  

On my last outing with my detector at Vero, a tourist asked me about what I found and then told me he had one and was going to try it when he got to a beach he knew.  It was more in North Florida.  For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why he wasn't using it where he was.  He just walked a good distance down the beach.

---

Surf Chart from Surfguru.com.

Maybe you've noticed that the predicted bump in the surf keeps getting delayed.  A few days ago it was predicted for Monday, then Tuesday, and I think yesterday or the day before, Thrusday.  Now it is all the way back to Friday.

Good hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net