Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 27, 2024

2/27/24 Report - Cleaned Cremation Tag. Dating Unlabeled Bottles. Pros and Cons of Cashless Society.

Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


Cremation Tag Found.

I found this tag the same day I found the class ring that I showed.  I thought it was something else, but when I got it cleaned, I found out what it really is.  I'll return it to where I found it.

I haven't detected many of those in recent years, but they are common metal detector finds in some areas.

---

A couple days ago I showed a couple embossed Canada Dry bottles that had no remaining evidence of a label.  I'm trying to figure out the age of the bottles.  

I found one, which I knew I had around somewhere, that does have a painted label.  The painted label bottles are more recent than those that had paper labels.  I don't know if Canada Dry used bottles that were embossed but had neither paper or ACL labels.  As I said, some of the Canada Dry bottles don't show evidence of ever having a label other than the embossing.

Below is one that has a damaged ACL label.


ACL Canada Dry Water Bottle.

I can't find this bottle again right now, but I think it had a date code of 54 on the bottom.  You can see how the texture of the glass affected the wear of the AC with the paint remaining in the low spots of the textured glass..

Concerning Canada Dry bottles, one reference says, “Eighty seven varieties of the painted label s bottles have been cataloged, dating from the early 1940’s to the 1980’s.”  (EPChap10c.pdf (sha.org)  

Here is another ACL bottle I just noticed in my collection.

1965 Canada Dry Quinine Water (Mixer) Bottle

I'm not certain if the embossed bottles I showed a couple days ago ever had a label of any type, but if they did, I assume it was a paper label, instead of an ACL.  I'd think the textured surface would preserve at least some of the paint in the depressions.

The more recent bottles have more shallow embossing.  The surface texture on the 1965 bottle is very shallow, and only part of the bottle is textured whereas the first two unlabeled bottles I showed have a very heavy textured surface and embossing.  The applied paint on the newer bottle was sufficient to fill the depressions and create a smooth surface on the label.

By the way, yesterday when I found the Capudine bottles, I also found another pint size Canada Dry bottle, like the one I showed a cojple days ago, but I didn't carry it home.

So the main thing I've learned so far, is that the painted labels are generally newer than the bottles with the paper layers, and it appears that you can get a good idea of the age of the bottle from the glass, with the older bottles showing thicker textures and embossing.  I still don't know if all Canada Dry bottles originally had some kind of label other than the embossing.

If you can answer those questions or correct me on any of that, please let me know.

Thanks to Mark G. for his imput on this subject.

===

Pros and Cons of Going Cashless.


If you are contemplating what it might be like living in a cashless society in the future, you might want to look first to Nigeria as the poster child for reasons to continue to use physical cash instead...

The benefits of going cashless include increased transparency, reduction in the handling of physical cash, and improved efficiency in financial transactions. It also provides opportunities for businesses to thrive in an interconnected digital ecosystem.

A major argument often cited against going entirely cashless is the lack of privacy. Through the Nigerian experience, an additional problem is surfacing - fraudsters are adapting to exploit the channels designed to make cashless transactions easier than using coins and banknotes. As transactions continue to shift from cash (and checks), online criminals are finding new vulnerabilities to exploit. It’s much easier and significantly more profitable to rob a bank electronically than to go into a bank’s lobby with a gun.

As the website technext24.com put it, “The [Nigerian] statistics are alarming, with thousands of fraud cases recorded, amounting to billions of naira in losses. This raises a pressing question: Is the convenience of a cashless society worth the risks it poses?”

Nigeria’s physical money supply (coins and bank notes) has doubled since the September 2020 lockdown due to the COVID-19 pandemic. More recently, Nigeria’s quasi-money financial tools easily converted into cash expanded from N40.8 trillion to N41 trillion during August. More cash and less electronic transfers are not necessarily a good mix. These become challenges to domestic inflation.

Here is the link.

Nigerian Cashless Efforts Have Shortfalls - Numismatic News

---

Surf Chart from SurfGuru.com.

Good hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net