Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 24, 2021

2/24/21 Report - When Coins Wash Up. Double Check. New Site Finds. Swamp Draining.

 Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


I've been using this illustration of a theoretical beach profile.  I've used it to talk about items being uncovered or washed out of a beach, but I haven't said much of anything, if anything, about coins washing up onto the beach.  That doesn't occur real often.

The first thing that has to happen before coins can be washed up onto the beach, is that they have to first be uncovered.  As long as they are covered by sand they aren't going anywhere until the cover or sand is removed.  My first orange arrow points to that.

Then enough water must be moving with enough force to move the coins up onto the beach.  Of course that will also move the sand, but if the sand was already removed from in front of the beach or it continues to get swept away by the water, the coins will be left on what remaining sand.  It can be difficult to tell when coins are being washed out or when they are washed up.  The main thing to remember is that it takes more force to move the coins than it does to move the water, and where the force is reduced, the coins can drop out while the sand continues to get moved away.

So usually you have three factors at work.  First the sand in front of the beach will be removed so the old coins are uncovered.  Second, enough water force to move the coins as well as the sand.   And third, a lowered front beach that permits more water to move in and provide a lowered surface where the coins will be deposited.

---

Two or three days ago when I went out I found very few targets.  I started with my Equinox and finally found a couple coins in one area.  Even though it seemed targets were very scarce that day, I thought there should be more than I found at that location, so I got out my ATX to check the area again.  Nothing more was found there.   I was glad I had the other detector along that day to check out the area.  

---

New Finds From Possible Wreck Related Site.

As I've said before, some items are being found at a location of a long-rumored but little explored site that appears to be wreck related.

Others to be cleaned soon.

---

Swamp Draining at Paynes Prairie State Park.

Yesterday I mentioned Paynes Prairie State Park after JamminJack mentioned it to me.  I thought you would want to know the interesting history of the park and might want to visit it someday.  Jack originally mentioned the swamp draining to me as an example for Oak island.

Here is what Jack said.

As mentioned earlier, they were draining Paynes Prairie and replacing the power lines. I cannot believe how quick they did that area. Images are from today and looks like they are almost done.
My point is Oak Island crew needed to watch how to drain a swamp, etc.


Paynes Prairie State Park Swamp Draining.

I long ago lost interest in O.I.   Maybe they'd have better luck finding Big Foot.

---

Our friend Joe has brought the dark winter that he promised.  Miami is now the country's bright beacon of freedom that directly contrasts with D.C. and the other deteriorating cities of the north.  

Carpe diem.


Looks like we'll have nothing much more than a two or three foot surf for several days.

Happy hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net