Search This Blog

Saturday, February 27, 2021

2/27/21 Report - Some Old Finds and Some Mystery Items. Underwater ROVs under $3,000.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.


Looks like we might get another little bump in the surf in a few days.  And the tides are getting a little better too.  They were pretty flat for a while.  We weren't getting any negative tides for a while, so that could help a little.

Tides for Fort Pierce Area
Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.

---

I was looking back over some old posts and I couldn't believe it had been so long.  Some of those things I remember like it was yesterday.  Unfortunately I was having trouble with the blog at one time and deleted some of the oldest posts.  But here are a few photos from over ten years ago.


Bunch of Heavy Class Ring Finds.

The good thing about finding a class ring is all the information on it.  You can often find the owners name inscribed inside.  As a result you can often return class rings to the original owner.  But not all of them have the names inside and it is not uncommon for the owner to be deceased.

Many of the mystery items that I've posted have never been solved, but some have not been identified even after ten years.  I found a few of the items shown below.  They were different sizes, and were found along with musket balls and other old items.  Some people thought this might be a gorget, and it could be, but I'm not totally convinced.   Still I don't know what else it is.  It reminds me of a heel or toe tap or protector, but the holes aren't in the right place.  Maybe it is a gorget.  I just don't know.


Mystery Item.
Gorget(?)


Then there was this signet ring.  Someone might be able to identify the seal, but so far it hasn't been identified.  Some serious research might solve that one.


Seal Ring.

Looking back it is hard to imagine that those posts were that old.  In some ways not much has changed.   

I have learned a lot.  I've refined my understanding of beach erosion.  That is perhaps what I've learned most about.  It is a continuing thing.

Even back ten years ago, there was a lot of beach renourishment and I was talking about renourishment sand.  If anything, that has just increased.  They are pouring more and more sand on the beaches.

I let the original treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com site get too big.  It is very difficult to find the statistics on the posts that are ten years old, for example.  Yet I wish I didn't delete so many of the old posts.

---

Dug Wedge.

I didn't realize it was so long ago that I found this wedge.  I used electrolysis to clean it up.  It looks very different today.  I didn't remember it looked so bad when I found it.  Seems like a good idea to keep a photos of finds.

Originally I called it a chisel, but someone pointed out the difference between a chisel and a wedge, and it is a wedge.  

__


Did you know that you can get an underwater ROV for under two or three thousand dollars?  It might be a good way to inspect some areas without getting your hair wet.


Underwater ROVs for Under Three Thousand Dollars.


You probably don't care about getting your hair wet, but you might find it convenient to get a look in some areas without jumping in.  

This selection of ROVs is listed in the B&H photography equipment catalog.  You can find it at BandH.com.

---

Happy hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net




Here is an interesting article about one wreck.