Search This Blog

Thursday, June 10, 2021

6/10/21 Report - Surface Contours and Finds. Hoard of Silver Coins Found by Detectorists.

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Ripples On The River
This Morning.

No tropical cyclone formation is expected for at least the next five days.  The surf is around two feet and decreasing for a few days.  The tides are moderate.

Sixteen to twenty named storms are expected this hurricane season, so we can expect some activity.

---

I've been talking a lot lately about metal detecting an inland site.  In some ways it is like detecting a beach, but in other ways it is different.

One of the big differences between is the amount of land available.  youYou can't possibly detect the entire beach.  Fortunately there are areas on a beach that are better to detect than others, and you can learn to narrow it down a lot by reading the beach.  

Another big difference is the amount of sifting and sorting that goes on due to the water movement.  That is what creates the good spots, and is one thing that allows you to effectively narrow down your search area.

Land sites also have visible signs that will help you narrow down your search too, but if a land site isn't too large and you can detect it all, you might want to.    

On the site I have been detecting there are areas where the surface is raised.  That is true along both the north and west borders where there is a lot of modern junk.  If there are any old coins in those areas there is no chance I will get to detect them without removing some of that earth.  They will be too deeply buried.   That is very much like old coins buried by too much newly accumulated sand.

There are other raised and depressed surface areas on the inland site.  Some of them were created by nature and some by human activity.   You read the surface variations in a very similar that you would on a beach.

Last night I went out to the inland site and went back to a hole I started to take some things out of the other day, but I didn't finish it.  I knew there was more there when I quit, and I remembered exactly where the signals were, so before turning on the detector, I started digging where I left off.  The first thing I found was the top of the broken bottle that I found the last time I was there.  I'm always glad to find a missing piece.  

Top To The Broken Bottle
I Found Two Days Ago.

What remained that gave me signals on the previous hunt was the four strips of metal shown in the following photo.

Wednesday Evening Finds.

Then I moved on to some new ground that I hadn't worked my way into before.  There was some dense vegetation and I had to do some cutting before I could detect.  Then I got the spike, handle (I think) and tooth from the crushing machine.

In that newly accessed area, I was back to level one - big and surface objects.  In some of the other areas I detected better, I was starting to get to smaller and deeper targets.

There was also a big hump of sand there that didn't look natural.  It seemed to me that it got dumped there recently.  I checked it to make sure, but heard nothing.  Just like on the beach, I guessed by the look of it that there would be nothing old in it.  Nonetheless, I checked.

The point I'm getting to is that the contour of the surface can be "read" whether you are on a beach or inland.  An old pile is not likely to have anything old in it unless the old items came with the sand or earth.  That might seem obvious enough, but it is worth noting.

One of the big differences between inland sites and beaches is the distribution of targets, I'll talk about that some more some other time.  The distribution of targets on a beach will be affected by the water, and the shape of the distribution areas will be different, which permits different sampling strategies.

---

A hoard of silver coins minted in the Carolingian Empire about 1,200 years ago has been unearthed in northeastern Poland and may have been part of a historic ransom to save Paris from a Viking invasion.

It's the first time anyone has found so many Carolingian coins in Poland. Only three such coins — of a distinctive style with Latin inscriptions and a central crucifix — have been found in the country before now...

Metal detectorists discovered the first handful of the coin hoard in November 2020, in a field near the town of Biskupiec.

The finders, who had permission from the provincial government for their activities, stopped any further searching and kept the location secret until experts from the nearby Museum of Ostróda could investigate the find.

Hoard of silver coins may have been part of historic ransom to save Paris | Live Science

If you follow that link you'll also find some other interesting treasure-found stories. 


Stay cool and stay hydrated.

Happy hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net