Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 30, 2021

6/30/21 Report - Shell Casing Marks. Goodies in Renourishment Sand. Metal Detecting Personal History.

 Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Shell Casing Found Yesterday.

Among the items I found yesterday was the shell casing shown above. It measures about .5 inch in diameter and appears to display the markings, L 8 T Z Z. I would guess the shell was made in the 1980s, and there would be a second digit. The TZZ indicates Israeli Military Industries as the manufacturer. That surprised me. I know there are readers who know a lot more about shells and ammunition than I, so I would appreciate any information or input on this item.

I once did a post on that subject, which included a link for interpreting the marks on military shells. Here is it.



I couldn't read that shell yesterday, so I soaked it in vinegar over night.

---

The renourishment sand at Fort Pierce South Jetty seems to have a few older items in it, but I saw nothing really old or interesting, I only checked it once or maybe twice since the last renourishment project was complete.

There can be some very good things in renourishment sand. It reminds me of 1995 when a beach renourishment project dumped coins and artifacts from the Jupiter wreck (the Archangel) on Jupiter beach.

The sand bearing the coins and other things came from around 2000 feet offshore. Some of the items showed damage from the dredge.

I enjoyed hunting Jupiter back in those days. I lived down south and would usually stop at Jupiter for a little hunting whenever I made a trip to or from the Fort Pierce and Vero areas. I also made some trips to Jupiter specifically to hunt that beach. There were a lot of older U.S. coins found there too. Since that time the beach has been renourished many times and the entire look of the park has changed.

There was a small tree or bush in front of the dunes just north of the old lifeguard stand that was a landmark for searching the beach. It is long gone.

I started hunting that beach before the wreck site was located and salvaged.  There was a fellow that always detected there named Dave.  I mentioned this before, but he had a jar that he found on the beach that was stolen from the trunk of his car while he was parked there.  In those days the parking lot was unpaved and just a dirt path back under the trees.

---

I've said before how interesting it can be to research your own ancestry.  You'll learn a lot about history and maybe come up with some new detecting sites.  

I'm glad my wife has become so good at genealogical research.  She just located another one of my ancestors with an interesting past.  It is the third of my ancestors that she has found that is the subject of a book.  Her side of the family is more difficult because they were 20th century immigrants.  They have their own interesting stories including World War I, concentration camps, but it is more difficult to trace.

The ancestor she recently discovered for me is Edware Poole.

Edward Poole was born on 25 April 1609, in Weymouth, Dorset, England as the son of Elizabeth Parkins. He married Sarah Pinney in 1641, in Weymouth, Massachusetts Bay Colony, British Colonial America. They were the parents of at least 6 sons and 1 daughter. In 1635, at the age of 26, his occupation is listed as servant of George Allyn. He died in 1664, in Weymouth, Norfolk, Massachusetts, United States, at the age of 55. 

(https://ancestorsbeta.familysearch.org/en/KP91-C5M/edward-poole-1609-1664)

I tell you that to encourage you to do your own genealogical research. If you still live in the area or can visit, you might be able to metal detect your own history.

I have been able to metal detect some of the land where I grew up and found some of my old childhood toys.  Here are some of my old toys that I found.



It just occurred to me that those military toys reflect what my dad was doing as a teenage recruit during WW II.  I never thought of that connection before.

See The Treasure Beaches Report Direct From Florida's Treasure Coast.: 6/24/16 Report - Raw Beach Emerald Finds and My Most Sentimental Detecting Finds.

---


Source: nhc.noaa.gov

It looks like these two will stay to the south of us.

Looks like we'll have about a week of two foot surf.

Happy hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net