Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 29, 2021

6/29/21 Report - Tuesday Beaches and Finds.

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

John Brooks Beach Tuesday Morning.

With the possibility of storms heading this way, I went out to get a read on the current state of the beaches.  I stopped at John Brooks first.  It didn't look much good, as you can see from these photos.


John Brooks Beach Tuesday Morning.

I was a little late for low tide.  There were mosquitos out again.


John Brooks Beach Tuesday Morning.

It always helps to have a little understanding of what the beaches are doing, whether you are going to detect that day or not. 

This morning I decided to look around for someplace where there might be a better chance of finding some old stuff.  I managed to find a spot where there was a bit of a dip and where there were some good sized rocks.

Spot Where I Found Rocks At Water's Edge This Morning.

The photo doesn't show the rocks well.  It looks like water covered most of them when I snapped the photo.  There were a number of good size rocks.  You can see the tops of some in the water.

I had my eye on that spot for a few weeks.  I noticed it in the distance, but didn't walk all the way down to check it out before today.  I should have.

So I hunted that area for a while.  

Morning Finds.

I found a bent broken spike, a long lead object, a couple small caliber musket balls, some copper, and a modern gold ring.

As you might expect, the copper was higher on the beach and more shallow, while the lead and gold was lower.

It was difficult digging in the shells and rocks.  And the water was crashing where I wanted to be.  I found out I was a bit rusty on that kind of hunting and got smacked on the ankle by my scoop a couple times.  

The longer lead item looks a bit like a lead sylus, which was used for writing on slate.  See  The Treasure Beaches Report Direct From Florida's Treasure Coast.: 3/15/11 Report - Blog ChangesComing & More on the Stylus and Capron Treasure.   

I've found a few of those long rolls of lead before.  It seems they are often associated with musket balls, so it could be it was to be melted down to make balls.  This roll has the same seasoned patina as the musket balls.  

I also found a fairly large caliber shell casing.  I missed it in the photo, along with a couple modern coins.

I stopped to look at Fort Pierce South Jetty beach just to see what was going on there.


Fort Pierce South Jetty Beach Tuesday Morning.

I've found a few older things in the renourishment sand there, but nothing really nice.


Fort Pierce South Jetty Beach Tuesday Morning.

Danny is gone, but watch the next two areas that are generally headed in this direction.


Source: nhc.noaa.gov

Happy hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net