Search This Blog

Thursday, February 17, 2022

2/17/22 - Sword Found in River. Archaeology of Ancient Gold Mining. Reflecting On Recent Beach Conditions and Metal Detecting.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Source: See Spectator.sme.sk link below.

During their time off, relaxing by the River Váh, near Hlohovec, a local came across an object that they found interesting. Only when they returned home, did they discover that it was an archaeological find and paid a visit to the nearest museum...

The local had discovered a short sword, or a long dagger, with a length of almost 26 cm and a weight of almost 150 g, the Trnava Office of the Monuments Board said. Its handle from organic material has not been preserved. Only traces of the rivets remained...

Here is the link.

https://spectator.sme.sk/c/22817001/the-river-vah-uncovers-a-rare-bronze-age-weapon.html?ref=temacl

---

Archaeological finds confirm ancient gold mining area.

The larger mining area consists of two mining tunnels and a vast field of exploration pits, which have changed the landscape, experts from the museum said.

A quiet coniferous forest covers dozens of these pits today.

Miners used the surface mining technique to verify the presence of a gold vein and check the subsequent profitability of digging a tunnel.

“Mining irons, simple tools, also evidence the work of miners here,” the museum said.

Here is the link.

Tužina was a gold mining site, recent archaeological finds prove - spectator.sme.sk

---

Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.

Looks like the surf will be decreasing a little going into the weekend.  A four-to-six-foot surf is about the minimum that you'd expect to create any kind of erosion, but it depends upon other factors.  The tides are important, and right now, the tides aren't flat, but they aren't big either.  Not enough to help much.  But the frustrating thing the last few months, not to mention all the renourishment projects, is the frequent wind changes.  You'll get a day or two or north wind, followed by a day or two of south wind, and then maybe another day or two of north and then another day or two of southish wind, so you start to get a little sand movement in one direction and then the angles change, and it fills in again.  Of course, the movement hasn't been huge to begin with, but if there was something sustained, there might be some progress.

As I've mentioned a few times, there are some scattered areas that I've been following where the sand is down some.  It isn't a lot, but still the old stuff is not far away, and it wouldn't take a lot of additional sand loss.  As it is, even the seasoned modern coins are fairly deep.  That means good technique and effective detector usage is important.  Even with that, there will be some targets that are difficult to recover.  I left a few that were difficult to get to on my last outing.  That has been my experience lately anyhow, but I have only been checking a few spots close to home.  I haven't been up to the Sebastian and Vero areas for quite a while, nor have I been down to Jensen or farther south.  Let me know what you are seeing around the Treasure Coast.

I didn't post yesterday because I was thinking I might go out later and so put off posting until after I was out, but in the end, I didn't get out to the beaches at all yesterday.

I have been noticing that the Equinox conductivity numbers for common coins have been very consistent.  I plan to test the Equinox numbers on a variety of older silver coins someday soon.   I'll try to get to that before long.

In addition to the Equinox, I took the ATX out a few times too, but haven't used the ATX.  I'd prefer to get the site cleaned up better before switching to the ATX.  

I should check more beaches, but I don't have enough time for that and am still intrigued with the spots I have been working and haven't thoroughly cleaned them out yet.  I could easily be missing something.  Just don't have the time to be out there a lot.  If I had the time, I would check around more.

Fall and winter 2020 - 2021 was better than this year so far.  The renourishment projects haven't helped, but as you'll recall we had some nice high tides and high surf the previous year, and some great finds were made including 16th century coins and splash ingots.

I do hope to get out for a while later today.

Happy hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net