Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 23, 2022

2/23/22 Report - Reader Finds: Barber Halves and Mystery Item. No Big Surf Changes.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


Three Very Nice Batber Halves Found by Russ P. Over Last 18 Months.

Yesterday I discussed some half dollar finds.  Russ then sent me the following email.

Good morning.  It is ironic that you chose to focus on half dollar finds yesterday.  I found my nicest Barber half yesterday morning, a mainland find.  I'll send pictures.  I'll also send a picture of my three Barber halves, found at different sites over the past 18 months.


Barber Half Found by Russ P. Very Recently.

Russ continued as follows.

Now for the mystery find.  I found this sterling silver piece (it is marked) in a location that makes me think it is fairly old.  I believe it was a cylinder, now crushed.  Notice the pinhole, likely to fasten it in place.  If it was a cylinder, the diameter would be about 0.4 inches, about the size of a standard Sharpie marker.  I thought it was possibly a type of cigarette holder, decorative piece for a pipe, slide for a Bolo tie, decorative piece for a pen/pencil, but none of those possibilities seem a fit, or at least I can't find a similar example.  Pictures to follow.  Ideas?







What do you think it is? Let me know.

---

Here is an email from JamminJack.

When I drive around my community a lot of the parks that have not been developed go back 60+ years. Unfortunately, they are within UF property. One of the fields was where Gator Growl was held before relocating to the stadium. Now, Gator Growl is all over the campus. Think of all the rugby, flag football, frisbee golf, and other activities that were played on those fields. Lot of the fields are being converted into parking garages, and buildings. As for off campus, it is illegal to metal detect unless on private property with permission. There are some sites that go back to 1800s, but tricky to detect. It takes one person to call the police on you.

I have my Brand New Minelab Equinox 800 posted on Craigslist:Gainesville. I realized why I enjoy detecting beaches, lakes, springs, rivers, etc. Less hassle with red tape!

Jammin Jack 

There is always the matter of access. As you know, recently access has been restricted to some beaches because of beach renourishment, and access are usually closed at night.  At other locations accesses may be few and far between.  And there are the state parks and other areas where you cannot metal detect on the beaches. I think Turtle Trail and Seagrape might be open now.  Have to check on that.  Of course, there will be a lot of new sand there.


---

Source: MagicSeaWeed.com



Looks like no big changes in wind or surf for a few days.  Maybe there will be a change coming next week.  I see a predicted change in wind direction Monday and a small increase in the surf predicted for Tue.   

If you've noticed, there has usually been a wind shift like the one shown for Monday before an increase in the surf.



Happy hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net