Search This Blog

Friday, May 20, 2022

5/20/22 Report - A Couple Mounted Old Gold Coin Finds. One Remembered: One Not.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

1853 Diamond and Gold Coin Pendant.

I've been posting some memorable finds.  I noticed that a lot of them were not made of metal, and thought about why so many of the finds that stuck out in my mind were not metallic.  I'm pretty sure that part of it is the age of the items. They were old items, but they weren't the type of items that I was targeting, and therefore they were unexpected and surprising.  I suppose that has something to do with why they stick out in my memory so well.  They aren't the most valuable things, and might not be the kind of things you are most interested in finding, but to me, they are memorable finds.  To be surprising and memorable to me, they really have to stick out in some way, and finding what I expect to find just isn't that surprising.  I'm still pondering that.

Above is a pendant that was found many years ago.  I just happened to notice it when I was looking through some things.  It is an 1853 one-dollar gold coin mounted in a pendant with a few diamonds.  When I saw it, I remembered exactly where it was found.  And that was about forty years ago.

It was a stormy day and the wind was blowing and the beach was ripped.  It was found near the base of a palm tree.

Mounted 1853 One-Dollar Gold Coin.


It isn't really a top find, but I do remember when I found it.  There are times when the environment seems add to the memory.  

I saw an 1874 one-dollar gold coin ring (shown below), which I do not remember at all.  

1874 One-Dollar Gold Coin Ring.

I no longer have any idea when or where it was found.  Again, good records can be handy.

I don't know why I remember finding the one and not the other, but a lot of memorable finds are early finds.  Often they are the first of a kind.

When trying to recall a list of items, the first items in the list and the last items in the list are recalled easily, while items in the middle of the list are most likely to be forgotten.  Not surprisingly, there is a recency effect in free recall learning, but some things just seem more memorable, sometimes for reasons that are easy to figure out.  If you've been hunting something, such as a gold escudo, for years and finally find your first, it will undoubtedly be long remembered.  If you are lucky enough to find a lot of them, many will fade from memory (if your memory is like mine) while a few others may continue to be remembered for a long time.  Still, some of the early ones will remain fresh in memory.  The 1853 coin ring was an early one, but I don't know what other factors make it so memorable to me.  I would guess it might have to do with the stormy conditions on that day, but I don't remember any other finds that day, but they were undoubtedly not so interesting.

===

It is nice to have mounted coins so you can wear them, but it can cause a little damage to the coin where it is held.
---

The surf is down around one or two feet, and we are still having a decent low tide.  Should be decent water hunting,

Good hunting,
Treasurguide@comcast.net