Search This Blog

Sunday, May 22, 2022

5/22/22 Report - A Couple of My Early Metal Detecting Finds That I Still Remember.

 Writtten by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Heavy 14K Hinged Gold Bracelet.

I've been posting somme of my memorable finds.  Above is one.  It is from something like 40 years ago.  As you might expect, early finds tend to be more memorable.  Often they were firsts of some kind.

This one is a heavy hinged gold bracelet.  I've never since found another exactly like it.  Round ones are not uncommon, and I have found those, but they aren't as big or as distinctive.  I remember when and where I found this one.  At the time it was probably my biggest piece of gold.

Just feet from where I found the bracelet, I had ound the coin shown below.  I found the coin before I found the bracelet, and the coin was one reason I continued to hunt the area as well as I did.  At the time I found the coin, I didn't know what it was or if it was something good.  It is as large as a silver dollar, had some evident age, and is from Mexican.  You can imagine the excitement upon seeing a coin like that in the scoop as the sand cleared away. 

Forty years ago, it wasn't so easy to find information on things like that..  The internet wasn't available, and I didn't know much about Spanish coins, and it wasn't easy to read, so it took longer than it would today to figure it out.

1957 Mexico One-Peso Coin Find.

See 1957 Mexican Silver Peso (Morelos) - Silveragecoins

If it was in better shape, it would look like this.

Source: SilverAgeCoins web site.

Why I remember the bracelet is easy to answer.  At the time, it was one of my better finds.  Stamped 14K on the hinge, it was quickly identified.

Why I remember the one-peso coin is a little more complex, but also depends somewhat upon being found in the early days of my metal detecting involvement.   It was the first find of its type, and the closest thing to a tresure coin I had found at that time.  I thought it might be good, but turned out to not be worth much, even though it does have some silver content (1.6 grams),  

The fact that I wasn't able to find much about it when it was found, left me wondering for a while, and probably made it more memorable.  If I found it today, it would be quickly identified as not having much value, and probably would be quickly forgotten.  I hadn't at that time found any silver reales, and hadn't been to the Treasure Coast to hunt.  The first impression upon seeing it was excitement.  The rush of excitement can leave an indelible impression on your memory, even if you eventually find out that the object isn't as good as you originally hoped.  Even though it isn't anything valuable, I have never found another like it, and it still holds a place in my metal detector memories.

Some finds stick in my memory because of the mistakes I made.  One I can think of, I unfortunately even got left behind because I didn't recognize what it was.

I'll have more on that some other time.  The biggest thing you get out of those kinds of mistakes, is what you learn from them.

It still amazes me that after forty years, I could still walk to the exact spot where so many finds were made.

---

Yesterday I mentioned people getting killed by big beach holes.  SuperRick sent me this photo of a couple guys he saw digging a big hole.


Couple Diggers.
Photo by Superrick.

I could use some energetic people like that on occasion.  I'd put their random energy to work when I don't feel like digging.

---

We are getting those warm south winds, and it looks like summer conditions have begun.

Source; MagicSeaweed.com.

Good huntng,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net