Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 31, 2022

5/31/22 Report - Finds. Silver Pistol Sideplate, Rove(?) and Shard. Agatha First Tropical Storm or Year.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Silver Artifact Found On A 1715 Wreck Beach.

In my 5/29 post I showed some beach finds that could be artifacts from 1715 wrecks.  As I explained, I am pretty confident about the bracelet, but less confident about the ring.  In any case, I was reminded of some other artifacts from the same beach.  The example, the one above, which I believe is a sideplate to an old pistol.   It is silver. 

When researching that item, I found an example, of an 18th century sideplate that matches thsy one almost exactly.  Unfortunately, I can not find that illustration now.  If you can find an illustration of a sideplate that matches this one, I hope you'll share it with me.

Below is another artifact that I believe could be an 18th century, or perhaps early 19th century, find.  It was found with other items of that approximate age.  

There were several, and they were all very similar.  They are nearly square pieces of lead, slightly concave, and have apparently been punched through with a nail of something.


I was pretty sure they were used like washers, and were called roves, or rooves.  Now I can't find such that information on the internet, so am once again hoping somebody can help me re-research them.    Again, I should have written all that down.


Below is a photo of a recently found pot shard.

LargeTerracotta Pot Shard Under Water.

Here are some other photos of the same item.


I don't have any idea how old this one is yet.  I haven't studied it at all but suspect it may not be very old, but I don't know that for sure yet.

The diameter of the mouth would be over a foot.  

Always something to study.

---

Agatha, the first tropical storm of 2022, could reform in the Gulf of Mexico.

Hurricane Agatha makes landfall in southern Mexico; storm could redevelop in Atlantic (msn.com)

Here is the five-day tropical forecast from nhc.noaa.gov.



We'll get a little surf action from the remnants of Agatha in a few days.


Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.

It is that time of year.

Good hunting,

Treasureguide@comcast.net