Search This Blog

Monday, January 30, 2023

1/30/23 Report - Shipwreck and Treasure Coin Beaches of South Florida: Ruminations. Bigger Surf Coming (Maybe).

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I ponderedweak and weary, Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore— While I nodded, nearly napping, ideas for a post came loudly rapping on my wooden noggin door.

You might recognize the italicized part of that as being from Poe's The Raven, but during a recent late-night reverie, a number of shipwreck and treasure coin beaches from my metal detecting days in South Florida passed through my mind.

Although back then I mostly hunted modern jewelry, there were a number of areas that produced older coins and artifacts.  Since I lived in the Hollywood, I detected Fort Lauderdale and Miami a lot, but occasionally I went as far south as the Keys and occasionally up to Jupiter and the Treasure Coast.  I liked to visit Jupiter, but for some reason I didn't visit the area between Hillsboro and Jupiter much, I did hunt the Boca area a little.

Of course, you have a lot of nearshore shipwrecks down in the Keys, but I didn't go down there very often, but did on occasion.  I did often detected Key Biscayne, which was closer and really offered a lot of different types if treasure.  There was the old well where ships as early as the 1500s replenished water supplies, and the nearby lighthouse and the Seminole battle that took place there.  Key Biscayne was one of those places where real treasure chests were found.  Nearby Coconut Grove, another old watering area, was another.  Beside the old well and lighthouse and the resort and park beaches on Key Biscayne, there was the old coconut plantation, and buried shipwreck remains under the beach by one resort, as well as a long treasure coin beach farther south.  There were also spots that produced good numbers of older U.S. coins and artifacts when the erosion was just right, and Key Biscayne is where I collected my first old bottles right after Hurrican Andrew.  Virginia Key, just across Bear Cut, often produced silver U.S. coins, gold jewelry as well as occasionally some much older items.  That was before Virginia Key was renovated.

Of course, all the Miami Beach resort beaches provided good metal detecting, but just a little farther north, there was the shipwreck off, what was it, Golden Sands or Golden Shores, just north of the old Marco Polo hotel.  And just across the intercoastal, not far from there, could be found old wooden ship remains of what was thought to have been a pirate ship.  And just a little north of that, was the old arch bridge, a very historical site that offered a lot, including Native American artifacts.

The stretch from the Dania pier to the Fort Lauderdale inlet was good metal detecting after a good storm.  Not only was it a place where I found 15 silver and gold rings in a four-hour hunt, but old shipwreck artifacts cold also be found there when conditions were right.  I also enjoyed the Whiskey Creek area there, which was suggestively and aptly named.  That is now mostly in a park, (John Lloyd, I think) where, last I heard, metal detecting is not permitted.  

And just north of the old Fort Lauderdale inlet, when the beach got ripped you could find artifacts from the old fort. 

Then there was the old shipwreck off Galt Ocean Mile.  I'm not so sure of the place names anymore.  And Pompano Beach and around the Hillsboro inlet produced old reales. I talked about that before.  

And the Boca inlet area also produced treasure coins once in a while.

I'm sure I didn't think of them all, but those are the places I thought of as I remembered my metal detecting days down south just before my eyes closed for the night.

---

In an old post I noticed some old buttons that looked something like the one found by DJ last weekend.


See The Treasure Beaches Report Direct From Florida's Treasure Coast.: 3/4/19 Report - Manual For Cataloging Old Buttons. Shipwreck Finds. Searching Paper Money for Valuable Serial Numbers.

Those were found not that long ago - 2019.

You can find something interesting any time.  Sometimes the probabilities are much better, so it just takes a little more persistence and effort at other times.

DJ would be happy to receive and thoughts on his recent button find.

----

“I came to the conclusion that we should aspire to increase the scope and scale of human consciousness in order to better understand what questions to ask. Really, the only thing that makes sense is to strive for greater collective enlightenment.” ― Elon Musk

Unfortunately the elite seems to be pushing franticly in the opposite direction.  The DAVOS "select group," in Kerry's words, pollute the planet with carbon and ignorance, flying to the conference in private jets and making windy speeches without saying anything that hasn't been said millions of times before, they exploit the same capitalism they bash.  Kerry got his wealth from marrying into the Heinz family. They certainly don't practice what they preach.  I guess that is because they are the "select and above all the restrictions they would place on everybody else while they go on polluting at a rate most of us could not do if we tried.  Haven't they heard of teleconferencing?

---

Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.

Looks like tere is a little hope for a rougher surf in the near future.

I struck out on a bottle hunt yesterday.

Good hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net