Search This Blog

Friday, January 6, 2023

1/6/23 Report - A Quick Leisurely Low-Cost Hunt Produces a Variety of Finds, Clues, and History.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exxclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.




I took a little walk yesterday and picked up a few things. Besides the walk being enjoyable on its own, I found a variety of old things, including the spike shown above, which was totally encrusted.  All I could see was a brown thick crust that I wasn't sure what was in it.  You can see the spike with some of the remaining crust in the photo below.  The spike is 5.5 inches long.  I can't tell how much of it is still present and how much has disappeared.

My finds included a Carter's cone ink bottle, two other stopper or cork-top bottles, the spike, a couple marbles, and a couple nice shells.  No detector or investment of any kind is needed to go out and find interesting items.


Sight Finds Made Yesterday.


I haven't done much cleaning or research yet; except I removed the rest of the crust from the spike.  The moss and dirt could be obscuring details on the other items.

The spike was found not too far from where I found one of those lead rolls the last time I went hunting which was New Year's eve.

Of the clear bottles, one is a medicine with embossed graduated markings.  The bottom markings might tell more about the clear bottles.

Here is the Carter's ink bottle.  I've found a variety of Carter's ink bottles over the years.  They come in a variety of colors and ages.  The newer ones have screw tops.  This one is a brown double-ring cone ink, which is probably from the 1885 to 1895 period.  The cone inks sell easily.  I've sold some of those.

Two Views of Double-Ring Cone Carter's Ink Bottle.

The ink bottle looks in great shape.

Here is link to a good history on Carter's Ink.

Carter’s Ink – Bay Bottles


The large marble shown below is badly damaged.   Too bad.  It appears to be a larger hand blown marble.  It would have been a nice find if it wasn't so damaged.

Badly Damaged Swirl Glass Marble.

It is a full 7/8 inch in diameter.  Below you can see it next to a more common marble.


Newly Found Swirl Marble
With Cats Eye Marble.

The cats eye marble wasn't found on this hunt.  I found it a month or two ago.  It was just handy when I did this post.  The cats eye marble was a tougher find.  It was in about a foot of slightly murky water and was barely visible.  


Piece of Keiller and Son Stoneware.

This piece of stoneware was found yesterday and shows enough information that I found a picture of what the container looked like before it was broken.

Marmalade Crock.

I found a piece of a similar jar before.  I wonder if it is from the same container.

The general principal is, when you find one, the probability of finding another dramatically increases.,

The shells are rooster conch shells. 

My favorite find of the hunt was the big marble (hope there are some in better shape out there)..  Most interesting to me is the spike and most valuable is the Carter's ink bottle.  There is a little history there and some clues and good promise for things to come.  Seems like I should take the metal detector down to the same area sometime soon.

---

Wikipedia says ,"The Proud Boyz (sp) are known for their opposition to left-wing and progressive groups and their support for former U.S. President Donald Trump."  Now you know why they are such a danger.  

By the way, since they were infiltrated at a very high level (second in command) I wonder why they weren't stopped from participating in the protests two years ago.  I really don't wonder.  It is perfectly clear.  

---


The wind switched today.  We have a nice little north wind today, but the surf is small and the tides are moderate.

Good hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net