Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 4, 2023

1/4/23 Report - Deja Vu All Over Again. Found Wedges From Shipwreck Beaches. Gauge Cover and Weird Finds.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Couple Treasure Coast Dug Wedges.

The key word today is deja vu.  Evertime I hear that word, I feel like I've heard it before.  Here we go again.

That isn't an unusual feeling at the beginning of a new year, but yesterday I was watching Bering Sea Gold and when the commercials came on (how many of them do they do at a time now - it seems like about fifteen), so I switched channels to see what else was going on around the dial (antiquated term). On Oak Island they were holding up an iron find, which looked very much like one that I found on the Treasure Coast.  I think they referred to it as a spike, and maybe someone called it a chisel or something.  I didn't pay too much attention to the hoopla, and I'd been on that channel for a few seconds, so it was about time to see what was going on elsewhere, but it did remind me of some items I had dug.  Two of them are shown above.  As I recall, whem I originally posted the first one, I called it a chisel, but someone wrote and told me the difference between a wedge and chisel.  It is an important distinction, and I'm always glad to receive such helpful information, whether I post it immediately or not.

A wedge is a piece of material, such as metal or wood, thick at one edge and tapered to a thin edge at the other for insertion in a narrow crevice, used for splitting, tightening, securing, or levering, while chisel is a cutting tool consisting of a slim.  The two shown above are wedges. 

I should have known about wedges because I spend an entire day splitting logs on a farm when I was about twelve.  I enjoyed that.

So a chisel has one flat side and one angled, as sown below.

Three Chisels.

I've found other old rsuty wedges on the Treasure Coast shipwreck beaches including one that is bronze.  They could have been used for a variety of purposes, nautical and otherwise.  

There are caulking wedges, which I think many wooden sailing ships would keep on board, but it seems to me that wedges would have been used during the original salvage operations.


Wedge Before Cleaning With Electrolysis.


Mushroomed Top of Iron Wedge.

Evidently that one was used a long time or on hard materials.

---

Lens?

I found this recently.  I first thought it might be a camera or telescope lens or something like that, but after looking at it again, it is flat and looks like a gauge cover for an old auto.  I once found a glass gauge cover for a model T.

---

One day I was thinking of weird finds.  This kind of thing.


I've probably found at least a half dozen of these, but more weird is the prosthetci leg with attached foot and shoe.  

I don't know that I ever took a photo of that, and I sure didn't keep it.

What is your weirdest find?

---

Dry Tortugas National Park was closed because hundreds of migrants were showing up in rafts.

Here is that link.

Florida's Dry Tortugas National Park closed after influx of hundreds of migrants : NPR

---


The tides are moderate, and the surf is small.


Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.


Good hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net