Search This Blog

Thursday, January 5, 2023

1/5/23 Report - Faceted Mexico Reales. Various Types of Metal Detected Weights.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Mexico Cobs Shown in Figure 7.5 in Alan Craig's Book
On Spanish Silver Cobs in the Florida Collection.

In my Jan. 3 post, I examined the surface of a Mexico 4-reale using magnification.  That post raised some questions, so I decided to study the matter more.  I was interested in the facets on Mexico cobs of the 1715 Fleet, and how they were actually created.  With magnification I was able to see some striations that I thought might be the result of filing, and I have read of filing done on cobs. But before getting into that in anhy more detail, below is what Alan Craig says about the heavy faceting that is so common on the four and eight-reale cobs of this period produced by the Mexico mint.


I only posted some of his figure 7.5 above.  There are more examples of faceting on these coins in his book.  The heavy faceting seems to distinguish Mexico minted cobs of the period from other mints.  From the examples I've seen, the faceting on the cobs of the other mint do not appear to be so prominent.

I'll have more on this topic from time to time as I my thinking on the subject advances. 

---.   

Weighty Matters

In the past, I've posted photos of small lead rolls that I and others have found  and discussed those cigar-shape lead rolls that have been interpreted in various ways (on 7/12 for example).  Some are a bit different than others and could have been used for different things.  I've been thinking they could have also been used as hem weights, but maybe not.  The hem weights that I've found online are not elongated liek the found objects.  Instead of being cigar-shaped they are round as shown below.  They also have an opening so they can be sewn into or on the garment.


Hem Weight Found by William M.

The one shown above is just like those that you'll find for sale many places online.  I can easily imagine the cigar shape lead rolls being used as hem lead weights, but they might be a too heavy.  They might give a nice flow to a heavy skirt something like net weights used on cast nets.  The modern ones have a hole through them for the line to go through.

Some skirt weights are very decorative.

There are also tablecloth weights.  I don't really know why they are needed, but they are evidently used.  A clip is used to attach them to the tablecloth.

If you search the PAS online finds database, you'll find thousands and thousands of weights shaped veru much like the one shown above.  

Some of the other types of weights I've found with a metal detector include dive weights.  I found quite a few pounds of those.

Here are a few of those that were found with a metal detector.


A Few of the Dive Weights I've Found With a Metal Detector.


Of course, there are scale weights, which I've shown in my blog posts before.  

I've also shown lead sounding weights in the past.

And here are some window weights.


Window Weights.

Those are not lead.

Notice the rope still attached to the bottom one.  

These examples are stackable.  You could attach two or more when you needed more weight.

And here is a dug clock weight.

Clock Weight.


What other types of weights have your found?  Especially lead weights.

---

If you didn't believe me the day after the protest, read the following.

'I Also Orchestrated It': Uncharged J6 Witness Ray Epps Transcript Released | ZeroHedge

He was never charged, and I've seen on video several times those in the crowd immediately spotted him as a fed and called him out.

---

 I have a lot to do.  I plan to get out to find some things, maybe later today, and I have a lot more to talk about.

Good hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net



A religion that is pure and stainless according to God the Father is this: to take care of orphans and widows who are suffering, and to keep oneself unstained by the world  James 1:27.