Search This Blog

Monday, March 13, 2023

3/13/23 Report - Gold From The S.S. Central America. Layers of History All Around You. Bigger Surf Coming.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Source: See GreySheet link below.

(Reno, Nevada) March 8, 2023 – A nearly two-pound Kellogg & Humbert assayer’s gold ingot was among the highlights in the second and final auction of never-before-offered California Gold Rush artifacts recovered from the 1857 sinking of the fabled “Ship of Gold,” the S.S. Central America. From lumps of coal and crewmembers’ keys to tableware and exquisite jewelry, collectors bid $1.1 million to acquire the 422 lots in the auction conducted by Holabird Western Americana Collections, LLC (www.HolabirdAmericana.com) in Reno, Nevada on March 4 and 5, 2023.

Here is the link to the source article. 

Greysheet News

Thanks to Norbert B. for that link.

---

Metal detecting isn't horseshoes.  You can miss the greatest find of your lifetime by an inch - or less.  

Skill helps - a lot - but there is still some luck involved. On any given day you might turn right when you should turn left, you might be high on the beach when you needed to be low, or your sweeps might be an inch too far apart, or the object might be half an inch deeper than you can detect, or you choose to pass on that iffy signal, or your coil just misses that one square inch on the miles of beach in front of you.  It is the closeness that thankfully you never find out about.

Yes, knowledge and skill will help you turn the right direction, head to the right spot, and dig the good signals, but it doesn't totally eliminate the element of luck - either good or bad.

One thing that amazes me is how much treasure there is and how much there is under the ground no matter where you are.  There are so many layers.  If you could only look back through the past at the ships that sailed, the battles that were fought, the indigenous peoples, spring breakers of various generations come and gone, and even the mammoths that roamed the Treasure Coast.  One of the nice things about treasure hunting is picking up the remnants of the different layers of history and seeing it come together to form a more complete picture.  

I don't focus on any one type of treasure or items of any one time period.  Sometimes I just look for whatever is there.  And history reveals itself.

Often these days I feel like those previous times are present and I'm walking through them.  The time dimension feels as real and present as the space dimension.  When I look across the way I can almost see the mammoths and other prehistoric animals that roamed the area; the indigenous people who left arrowheads and artifacts behind, the early shipwrecks and salvage attempts, the early settlers to the area and the railroad workers that buried railroad artifacts just decades ago not far from where I sit.  I've found pieces of all that, and it has become quite real to me.  It is almost as real as my own history as I walk around the places I have hunted for quite some time now.

Unlike some people I've seen on TV, I never find myself wondering "if something went on here."  I know it did.  Not only did something go on here, but a lot when on here.  Thousands or millions of years went on here.  And there are remnants of it all scattered about.

I always enjoyed traveling with my metal detector and exploring new areas, but since I don't travel nearly as much anymore, I've spent more time on my local area, and as a result, have accumulated a more in-depth feeling for the multi-layered history of the area, and it has become more real and present to me.

---

I started to write about something else but went down a different track.  I'll get back to my original topic some other time.

Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.

I just heard the wind pick up outside.  

I planned to go out this morning but didn't get to.  Maybe tomorrow.

Looks like we'll have some higher surf for a few days.  Wasn't expecting that after looking at the last forecast.  

Good hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net