Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 29, 2023

3/29/23 Report - Treasure Hunting Is For The Birds - In A Different Way. Metal Detecting As Time Travel.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Not Metal Detecting Finds But Presents Crows Delivered to the Bird Lover That Fed Them.
Source: TheEpochTimes - See link below.

Here is a cool story.

Tango is a bird-lover who feeds crows and in return receives gifts from the birds. 

TikToker Tango has firsthand knowledge of how smart and clever crows are. When she moved into her new home in Virginia almost three years ago, she immediately started feeding the birds. She especially noticed the crows, and she began leaving them peanuts.

Some people associate the jet-black birds with bad omens, but in actuality, corvids are highly intelligent scavengers capable of adapting to their environment, making analogies, and communicating. Researchers say ravens and crows are some of the world's most intelligent birds. In fact, they have about the same intelligence level as a 7-year-old human child!

Above you can see the crows at the feeding station along with the presents they brought.

Here is the link.

Woman Befriends Crow Family Who Leaves Her With Small Gifts as a Token of Their Gratitude (theepochtimes.com)


That story reminded me of the Magpies in The Detectorists British TV Series. 

Clip from The Detectorists.


Clip From Final Episode of The Detectorists.

I always thought about training sea otters to be treasure divers.  I think they'd be good at it.

There are a variety of animals that are known for their collecting shiny objects.



When I went back to find this video, I noticed that one of the characters explains that "Metal Detecting is the closest you'll get to time travel."  See (89) The Detectorists Finale in Slow Motion - YouTube

A few days ago I tried to describe something very similar when I talked about walking down the beach and seeing mammoth and Megalodon remains and prehistoric horse teeth, and peccaries, etc., and then following in the tracks of precontact indigenous peoples, noticing a pot shard or shell tool, and then the blackened coins of the shipwrecks, eventually coming back to recent times.  After years of searching those areas and stumbling across so many pieces of the past, it very much seems like those times are still present.  To me, it is almost like you can see those times and walk through them.

I don't have that feeling about South Florida where I hunted mostly modern items.  And I don't even have that sense of the previous history of my childhood home - just the times that I was there.  But I do very much have that feeling of the past in West Virginia where my ancestors hunted the woods and where I still metal detect whenever I get a chance.  The history is alive for me there, and when I step into the woods, it is like stepping into the past.  The intervening years seem to disappear as I follow in the tracks of my ancestors.  I stock the past like they stocked game.  I follow their tracks, and it seems like they might be just up ahead or behind a tree on the next hill.  The gentle breeze whispers through the leaves and like voices from the past.



The fact that I've read a couple books about the adventures of my ancestors in that area undoubtedly helps make it so real to me.  And I have no doubt they hunted those same hills. There is no other place where I feel as rooted or where I am more connected to the past.  The seasons change but time there does not pass.

---

While on the subject of artifacts, Laura Strolia wrote the following concerning a photo of a Spanish candlestick base and Holy Water container that I posted a few days ago.  It was in one of the artifact resources that I mentioned.

Here is what Laura said bout that.

The object on the right definitely looks like a Catholic Holy Water container (called an Aspersorium) from the 16th century. Priests sprinkled Holy Water over the faithful to bless them. The early Aspersoriums were brass with handles (I am assuming the handle broke off in the one shown). These religious vessels, which looked like pails, came in many sizes, as I have seen some half the size of the one in the picture. I am wondering, though, if the two objects were made in conjunction with each other so that the candlestick could easily be stored in the Aspersorium. Any priest on an expedition would appreciate that benefit!

---

Joe D. sent following.

Beach was pretty barren this morning; and lately! This little bottle at the surf line kept me from a total skunk! Shell collectors passed right over it!!👍

On a sad note, Monte Barry of AHRPS.ORG has passed away! He was one of the great ones, and will be missed!!

Sea-worn Embossed Bottle Found by Joe D.


Shell piles can produce a lot of very interesting things - everything from shells to pot shards and sea glass to fossils, arrowheads and even, on rare occasions, coins.

---

They say that when you lose your parents you lose your past, but when you lose a child, you lose your future.

I'm sad about the killing of the children and teachers as well as the many other killings that continue around the world.  

There are so many messed up haters out there, and many of them now in positions where they can do immense damage.

---

I haven't been hunting for the last four weeks or so - maybe once since I found the case gin.  I planned on doing more metal detecting tests but wanted to do those tests at the beach and haven't been out.  I still plan on conducting those tests and will hopefully get to them soon.  Just had too much to do.


The tides are pretty flat now.  And the surf predictions aren't very promising.


Source: MagicSeaweed.com.

I'm thinking I might be able to do a little hunting this afternoon.  I hope.

Good hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net