Search This Blog

Saturday, March 4, 2023

3/4/23 Report - TheArchaeologist.org Republishes Great 1715 Fleet Finds. Old Miller Padlock. Hurricanes for 2023.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Find Made by Schmitt Family on 1715 Fleet Wreck in 2015
Source: TheArchaeologist.org article (link below).

This is reported in a new article dated 2/28/23, but it isn't new news.  The find was made back in 2015.  I've been seeing that kind of thing a lot lately.  Web sites are republishing old news and not always making it clear that it is old news.  They also fail to make it clear where they got the original information and photos.  At times it can be difficult to find out when the new publication was posted.   While it isn't always a bad idea to post old news, it should be made clear that it is old news and where it was originally posted. 

My posts have the date of the post right at the top and I always attempt to give the source when there is one. There have been times when I forgot too do that or lost the original source, but most of the time I provide all of that.

Below is the link to the new article on the 2015 find, which was recently published on TheArchaeologist.org web site. 

Family finds $1m worth of 18th-century gold treasure off Florida coast (thearchaeologist.org)

TheArchaeologist.org site provides a source link, at the end of the article their article, but there were evidently other unnamed sources since TheIndependent article they cite does not provide all the photos or information that appeared in the new article. 

Here is the link provided by TheArchaeologist.org article as their source.

Family finds $1m worth of 18th-century gold treasure off Florida coast | The Independent | The Independent

I do not republish entire articles.  I often post brief excerpts from articles or summarize other articles, making sure to post source links so people who are interested will be driven to the source site.  That the actually benefits the source sites and drives traffic to the original source. 

I do wish that some of the sites would make sure to make clear the date of publication for their stories along with any original source links. I often see articles and can't find when they were published.  I don't know if I am seeing new news or old news. Lately I've noticed sites that are just republishing old news and trying to make it look new.

Thanks much to DJ for sending me the TheArchaeologist.org link.

---

Last weekend I picked up some nice old bottles, but that wasn't all.  I also picked up some metal finds.  The lock shown below is one of them.  I just got it cleaned.

Antique Miller Padlock Find.

I haven't found the history on the Miller Lock Co. yet, just a few miscellaneous bits.

I did see some nice web sites about collecting old locks.  Here are a couple.

Antique and Vintage Locks and Padlocks | Collectors Weekly

Collecting: Padlocks-The Key to Your Next Collection? - WorthPoint


Maybe someone can help me find more info on the Miller Lock Company and this lock.

The bigger point I'd like to make is that not only can you sight-find glass and other non-metallic items, but you can also find metallic without a metal detector if you are looking in the right kinds of places.

---

Here is an early hurricane forecast for 2023.  I don't think it is worth much, but here it is anyhow.

WESH 2 2023 Hurricane Season Forecast (msn.com)

Thanks to DJ for that link.

---

A dead man (Democrat) was elected to the Pennsylvania state house.  If you can elect incapacitated people, why not dead people?  It doesn't matter if they are nothing more than placeholders.  Seems to be a trend.  Watch Weekend at Bernie's.

Here is the link.

Dead man wins reelection to Pennsylvania state house (yahoo.com)

As Obiden said, "It matters who counts the votes, and how they are counted."  Who controls the man that is elected is more important than the man that is elected.

---

Source: MagicSeaweed.com.

We got a little wind yesterday.  It was a south wind but could have moved a little sand on some front beaches.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get out for a few days.

We haven't got much good whether this year.  I'm still hopeing for a good front or two before summer conditions take over completely.


Don't forget to check out Real time data | Florida Tech (fit.edu) which I added to my reference link list.


Good hunting,

Treasureguide@comcast.net