Search This Blog

Monday, October 9, 2023

10/10/23 Report - Some Treasure Coast Beaches Monday and a Find. A Beach Metal Detecting Tip.


Writtten by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


Dollman Beach Monday Morning.

I wasn't much in a mood for metal detecting Monday, but I did it anyhow for the diversion.  I needed to relax a little and needed to go somewhere anyhow, so I took the long route and stopped at a few beaches.   

I remember taking my sister metal detecting about thirty years ago when she was going through a messy divorce.  After she tried metal detecting for the first time, she mentioned that she could see why I liked it.  She said that while she was metal detecting, she was just focusing on that and got her problems off her mind.  It provided a much-needed diversion for me today.


Here is Dollman Beach.  I don't metal detect there often but have detected there a few times.  It didn't look good today.  Just like many other beaches, there is still a lot of renourishment sand there.

You might remember that a few years ago an old anchor was discovered just off the beach there.

Fossils will also appear along the low tide line when conditions are right.

I didn't stay there long but moved on to Jensen Beach.


Jensen Beach Monday.

It was a nice cloudy day and the low tide was in the morning.  That is what I like.


Jensen Beach Monday.

The slope was nice steep and had some deep scallops.  Looked better than any of the other beaches I saw Monday.

There was one detectorist working to the north and another to the south down by the resort.


The Surf at Jensen Monday.

.Not only can you see the surf in the above photo, but you can also see what looks like it might be a vessel out a ways and to the south.   Below is a closer view of that. 


Salvage Vessel?


I can't really tell.  Does anyone know?

I used to metal detect Jensen Beach a lot, but that was years ago.  I hadn't been there in maybe a year.



Walton Rocks Monday.


You can usually find something there, and that was the case Monday.

I didn't detect long but could see a few promising spots.  It worked out.

I didn't hit many targets, but did get a little gold, which is what I normally count as a success when I'm not targeting old stuff.


Thin Gold Chain With Purple Stone.


This chain was knotted up and I haven't managed to get it unknotted yet.  

---

Tip:

If you get at the beach well before low tide, you can watch how the water is flowing up and then back down the beach and how that is shaping the slope.  When you have some fairly deep scallops, as was the case at Jensen on Monday, you will see how the flow is funneled down the middle of the scallop. The water will come off both sides and gather in the middle as it flows down the slope.  Depending upon the amount of time and amount of water flowing over the beach, and the contour of the beach and the history of the beach, you can get a pretty good idea of where things will most likely be found. 

When you look at a beach, you can imagine what happened to create the contour and imagine how things were moved and deposited.

---

You might want to avoid Walton Rocks at present if you have a small car.  The entrance road is in terrible condition, and you could easily damage a car if you don't have a jeep or something that can handle it.

---

Sad to say, now there is another war going on.    

Good hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net