Search This Blog

Thursday, October 26, 2023

10/26/23 Report - At Least Some Treasure Coast Beaches Remain Improved. Even Higher Surf Expected Tomorrow.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Frederick Douglass Beach Thursday Afternoon.



I got a chance to take a look at a couple beaches this afternoon. It was near low tide. You can see that above.

Frederick Douglass Beach looked pretty good. It has been a while since I saw it looking. The cut at Frederick Douglass was about five feet and what I'd call crisp.


Frederick Douglass Beach Thursday Afternoon.

You can also see the nice broad low beach front.

One thing I failed to point out about the photos I posted yesterday, is faint remains of a previous cut, which is several feet behind or west of the new cut.

That can be important because it tells you that not long ago the beach was cut farther back than it is now, which means that the sand that eroded recently, was sand that filled in where the previous cut was.  That also tells you that anything in the sand was dropped as the sand filled in the previous cut.  Since the cut face showed no layers of shells or anything else to suggest the refill was a strong enough event to push up heavier items.  

Since I was at John Brooks yesterday, the wind has changed, and the cut at John Brooks is less sharp.  Between the two, I'd say Frederick Douglass now looks a little better than John Brooks.


John Brooks Beach Thursday Afternoon.


I was there later in the day and the closer to the low tide, so there was more beach to detect and I found more targets.  The targets were varied, ranging from aluminum, to corroded iron, to modern coins, and a couple other unidentified items.

I could tell a detectorist had been there earlier.  There were a couple obvious covered holes


John Brooks Beach Thursday Afternoon.

I was actually expecting a little more refilling at Brooks since the wind direction changed a little.

On the basis of these two beaches, I'd have to say there is probably some good spots out there, but these are the only two beaches I had time to visit.  I'd be able to make a better estimation if I'd seen more beaches, but from the two I did see, I'd say that beach conditions metal detecting conditions are at least a level two.  Wish I had time to see a few more beaches.  

Tammy is still out there, but much reduced.


Source: nhc.noaa.gov.


A higher surf yet is coming.  Up to 7 or 8 feet, according to surfguru.com.  We're not getting great angles, but with the higher surf, we are still having big tides - above three feet.


SurfGuru.com.


Good hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net