Search This Blog

Friday, October 6, 2023

10/6/23 Report - Surf and Tides Decreasing and Beach Metal Detecting Conditions Slowly Deteriorating.


Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report. 


John Brooks Thursday.

I haven't been to the beach in a while, but went for a short while this morning.  Felt like I need a little change in scenery.

I was not surprised by what I found.  There was a nice cut at John Brooks.  It evidently happened a day or more ago, but the cliff was still pretty sharp. The cut was undoubtedly bigger a day or two ago.


John Brooks Thursday.


Yesterday Turtle Trail was already filling.  I showed that yesterday.

Despite the good looking slope at John Brooks, it was very soft and mushy  



John Brooks Thursday.


There were a lot of shells on the flat beach, and you could see that the water had been pretty high, as you'd expect from the bigger surf and high tides we'd been having.

The morning was cloudy, but by the time I got to the beach it was sunny - too sunny for my liking.


Fort Pierce South Jetty Thursday.


A couple days ago, while watching the weather on TV, I noticed a nice sharp cut on this beach. 

It looked like the bottom of the cut was getting eroded more when I was there, and probably also the day before.

The slope was firm - so firm that digging was difficult.  A layer of shells was under a shallow layer of sand.


Fort Pierce South Jetty Thursday.

A lot of sand has disappeared again, so I'm sure they are getting ready to replenish this beach AGAIN.

===

Track of Phillipe
Source: nhc.noaa.gov


Phillipe is still out there.  It has been hanging around for what seems to be a long time.

The Treasure Coast surf will be running two to three feet for a few days.  Today the wind will be north, but the surf more easterly.  

The high tides will not be as big today.  

It looks like the Treasure Coast won't get a big storm event this year, but it is still possible.  Nonetheless, the month that has been the most productive for us the last couple of years is November, so we still have that to look forward to.

---

Thanks much to all who expressed condolences concerning the recent passing of my mother.  The metal detecting community is made of many great people.  

We all have families, and our family life provides context to our metal detecting activities.   Family members can be involved and part of our hobby, or uninterested, but in either case, it affects what we do and provides context.

I don't want to talk about my personal situation too much but probably will.  I hope that you can in some way relate to and benefit from it.  Our personal situations can be very different, but at the same time, in a more general sense, very similar.  We all have our struggles.  We all have families of one variety or another, and so did those who lost the items that we find.  Our finds carry meaning, not only for us, but for those who lost them.  The items express something about the people who made and used them.  

My mother told certain stories repeatedly.  I didn't always listen very carefully because I heard the story before and kind of figured I'd hear it again.   Today I'd like to be able to hear her tell it again.  

I found myself wondering about a certain detail and realized that now I'd never be able to ask about it and now would never be able to find out.  She was the only person that could tell me and now I can't ask her.  I realized that, in a very general sense, regrets are greatest when there are no more chances.


Hoping you are all doing well,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net