Search This Blog

Saturday, January 13, 2024

1/14/23 Report - Research Leads to Discovery of Remains of Revolutioary War Era Fort Found Inside Historic Home. Best Seaglass Beaches. Work.

 

Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


Some of Many Artifacts Found on Historic Property.
Clipped from Video. Link below.


A history buff purchased a historic house because he thought it was the property of an old fort.  He found the log walls of the fort inside the walls of his house after removing wall plaster.


John Bryan's home was teeming with historic relics such as dolls, clothes, pictures and war memorabilia.,,

John Bryan posted the saga of the discover on X, formerly Twitter.

According to Bryan, historians had believed a fort known as Byrnside's Fort was on the land, but he had to buy the property before properly digging in to find out. Sure enough, once he started the demolition of the building's facade, layers of history were revealed.


Walls of Fort Revealed.


Bryan carefully and painstakingly removed 1850's era plaster to uncover hand-hewn white oak logs, "in perfect condition." The house was teeming with historic relics – dolls, clothes, pictures, war memorabilia – from the past 253 years.

An avid amateur historian, Bryan bought the home in 2019 after researching frontier fort sites, he told local news outlet Mountain Messenger.

The site was registered as the Byrnside-Beirne-Johnson House in the IU.S. National Register of Historic Places, described as a "pioneer log fort" built by six families, including that of American Revolution battle leader James Byrnside, in 1770.

From 1770 until 2016, the house was continuously lived in. The same family even occupied it from 1869 until 2016...

Here is the link for more about that.

West Virginia Man Finds 253-Year-Old Fort Hidden Inside His House (msn.com)

---

Here is a link to a very lengthy and exceptionally good article talking about many of the best sea glass beaches of the world.  The only one listed from Florida is Sanibel Island.

Here is that link.

Where to Find the World's Most Extraordinary Beach Sea Glass (msn.com)

I haven't seen much sea glass lately, but I haven't been out very much either, so maybe that is the reason.

----

Here is a video or slideshow I really liked.  


I feel that.  

When people are separated from gritty work and the earth, they suffer from it.  That is my opinion.  

I can't imagine living in a large city surrounded by concrete.

I liked growing up among the farm fields, and really appreciate the time I spent doing farm work.   At times it was very hot in the summer sun in and the hay mow throwing around bales of hay all day.  Some people have an aversion to that kind of work, but I found it satisfying.

The phrase "hard work" usually makes me uncomfortable when applied to something I did.  When it came to physical labor, if I could do it, I didn't consider it hard.  It was just natural.  It was just what we did.

In physics, Work = Force times Displacement, which is sometimes measured in foot pounds. It is measurable.  You could see what you accomplished, and you could feel it.  I liked it.  It cleanses the soul.

The LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it.

I wonder about people who have an aversion to physical labor and feel a little sorry for them.  Maybe it seemed so natural and positive to me because of the example my father set.   Similarly, my attitude about work being described as "hard" was probably because of him.  He and my mother didn't want me to have to work like he did all my life, and it worked out.  My professional life can only be described as easy.  That is what they wanted for me.  I had it easy - because of the examples and expectations they set for me, and they directed me.  My professional life did not involve physical labor, but physical activities are still a big part of my life and I still like to be involved with physical activities around the house and in my leisure.

I feel a little sorry for those who are capable but either have an aversion to work or are otherwise deprived of it.  It would seem to me that they miss the satisfaction of throwing themselves into an activity and seeing in a concrete way the results.

When it comes to metal detecting, I enjoy the physical part of metal detecting, as much as the mental, and I enjoy seeing the concrete fruits of my efforts.

  ---

The high tides are a little higher and the low tides a little lower.  The wind and swells are pretty much from the north, although the surf is small.

Good hunting,

Treasureguide@comcast.net