Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 16, 2024

1/17/23 Re;port - Two Sword Handles (Quillons) From Treasure Coast Beaches. Innovative Experiments and Implementation of Metal Detecting Success Formula.

 


Two Views of Two Different Dug Tangs.
Photos submitted by Warren D.


About 3 years ago I shared some pictures of a Spanish sword quillon I recovered while detecting a Treasure Coast beach with a fellow detectorist John C. John mentioned that he found a similar object several years ago. Recently we compared the two side by side and took some new pictures.

Outward appearances are similar but the rectangular tang hole on mine measured 7mm by 10 mm.
The other quillon measured 5mm by 8mm as measured with a micrometer.

My quillon appeared to be from a Spanish officer's sword as described in a catalog page attached.

We were wondering if the smaller holed quillon could be from a dagger/knife possibly as a matched set to the sword?

The sword in the catalog was described as being a "transitional" piece between a rapier and a small officer's sword. My quillon had a design that appears to be a wine gourd and some ferns, the other quillon has a smooth surface, no extra design.

The serpent heads appear the same though they are at different angles. Would the angles be different for a sword versus a dagger?

Time for more research. Just when you think you are done you get pulled back in.

I wonder if the computer search engines will key in on the word "transitional" and we get a whole new audience here.

Warren D.


Warren provided this example of an officer's transitional rapier taken from a catalog,





---

I received the following message from Mark G., who did some investigations of his own.  I'm impressed by his implementation of the factors of my formula for metal detecting success.


Loved your blog on the “Formula for Success”. I am trying to put it into a mathematical formula that directly relates to what I find. I am finding that there are only a few variables in my calculations. However I have come up with a formula that matches how I rate successes. I usually rate success by how many of the six items you’re sure to find on the beach i.e.. iron, aluminum, fishing tackle, trinkets, coins and jewelry with the last 4 being “Good Finds”. After some experimentation with some weighting in the formula I’ve found Location is heavily weighted and I used Access as miles driven which I think also takes into account your Skill level, effort and networking which will determine how far you want to drive to get to the finds. In summary I believe that I only accomplished one thing here for sure, proving your point, that there is a formula for success.

 

Amount of Success = L + T + Sk + E + D+ N + A.

 

L = Location = Score 1 to 50 (Beachgoer density or Treasure Coast Proximity (depends on goal))

T = Time on the beach = Score 1 to 6 (Being hours spent on beach (I usually only can go 3 hours max))

Sk = Skill Level = Score 1 to 10 (Rate yourself or by years presuming beginner the first year)

E = Effort = Score 1 to 10 (I base this on how wet I get)

D = Detector = Score 1 to 3 (1 being single frequency low cost, 2 being dual frequency mid-range cost, 3 being high end high cost)

N = Networking = Score 1 to 10 (Rate yourself based on research beforehand)

A = Access = Score 1 to 50 (miles driven to get to location)

 

Here are a few hunting trips I worked into the formula:

 

January 13th (Saturday) Jensen Beach Low tide 3:00 PM 1.5 Hours

L = 20 – Jensen Public Beach is well known and high density however thoroughly hunted lowers the location score

T = 1.5 hrs.

Sk = 1 – only 5 months with new detector less than a year total experience

E = 6 – Hunting the swash gets your shorts wet but it was low tide and low surf

D = 2 – “Legend”

N = 5 – I learned enough to know where the finds would be and when the tides and surf would let me get there

A = 3 – JB is only 3 miles from my house

 

20+1.5+1+6+2+5+3=48.5/7= 5.50 or 2 coins 1 trinket and 1 jewelry = 4 Finds + junk

 

Calvin Park, December, low tide first try

L = 30 – High Density Beach Park

T = 4 hrs.

Sk = 1 - only 5 months with new detector less than a year total experience

E = 8 – Hunting swash, shell lines and some dry sand

D = 2 - Legend

N = 7 Spent more time mapping and timing

A = 30 miles

 

30+4+1+8+2+7+30=92/7=11.7 or 5 coins 3 fishing tackle 4 jewelry = 12 Good Finds + junk

 

Fort Pierce North State Park, December low tide first try

L = 25 – Density is low due to park fees but it is in Treasure Coast Territory

T = 3 hrs.

Sk = 1 – only 5 months with new detector less than a year total experience

E = 8 – Hunting the swash in very high surf

D = 2 – “Legend”

N = 5 – I learned enough to know where the finds would be and when the tides and surf would let me get there

A = 20 miles

 

25+3+1+8+2+5+20=64/7= 9.1 or 7 coins 2 rings and 1 fishing weight = 10 Good Finds + junk

 

Thank You

Mark G.





Thanks Mark.  Very interesting.

---


We're not going to be having much surf, but we'll have some negative low tides.

Good hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net