Search This Blog

Sunday, January 28, 2024

1/29/23 Report - Taking a New Look at Some Old Treasure Coast Bottle Finds. Another Look at a Couple Native American Artifacts from the Treasure Coast.

 

Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


Parsons Ammonia and Cleanser Bottles.

I looked through some old bottle finds that I put aside when I knew way less about bottles.  I see more when I look at bottles now than when I originally found them and put them away.  Although most are not my best finds, I did notice some nice old ones that I kinda missed before.  

I noticed a lot of cleanser, ammonia, and bleach bottles.  There were quite a few of those, but they were generally not among the oldest bottles I've found.

Of the group shown above, most, if not all, are Parsons bottles..  Below is one example.  They are mostly mid-century.  Below is one example.


PARSONS' HOUSEHOLD CLEANSER Bottle.


Here is an excerpt about Parsons.

WALLED LAKE, Michigan – If you have ever purchased ammonia, the oldest and best-known brand is Parsons Household Ammonia, which dates from 1881. That makes it one of the older consumer products in the United States. Today, it has a new life as a sister product to the Brillo pad.

The brand was originally a product of the Columbia Chemical Works of Brooklyn, with offices on Jay Street. Through the 20th Century, it was known on every grocery shelf across the country, and under most kitchen sinks.

Ammonia has a slew of uses. Today, it is mostly seen as something that is used in window cleaners, but it was seen as a laundry item in an earlier time.

Here is that link.

Parsons the Classic American Ammonia | BrandlandUSA


Clorox bottles are common too, and those that I've found are not real old or interesting.   I just kept the one shown because it was in good shape, and unlike most still had the cap.



HY-PRO bleach bottle is another brand of bleach bottle.  The one below is an older one.


Two Views of HY-PRO Bottle.

I couldn't get a real good photo of that one.  And I haven't found much on the Hy-Pro product or company.


Bottom of Hy-Pro Bottle.


Check the bottom marks when you can't find much about a type of bottle.  You can often narrow down the date of the bottle from what you find there.

The glass bottle manufacturing company that made this bottle is indicated by the MG mark, which indicates the Maywood Glass Company.

In 1936, Maywood operated two continuous tanks, making “flint amber and green proprietary ware, beverage and liquor bottles, packers’ ware, bottle specialties” by machine.

Here is the link for more about that company.


The stylized GBBA mark is also interesting.  I haven't noticed it on other bottles that I recall.  If I did, I didn't know what it meant.  It indicates the Glass Bottle Blowers Association.

Here is some information about that workers group.

In 1891, after four years of labor unrest, the two KOL glass blowers' divisions merged to become the United Green Glass Workers' Association of the United States and Canada. The glass blowers disaffiliated from the KOL in 1895 and formed a new, independent union, the Glass Bottle Blowers' Association (GBBA) of the United States and Canada.Denis A. Hayes was elected the new union's president in 1896, a position he held for the next three decades. 

One my point to take away is that the marks on the bottom of a bottle can provide some good information and is worth looking at.

While I didn't pull any gems out of the group I looked at so far, I did notice some better and older bottles than I recognized when I put them away.

The cleanser group isn't as sexy as some, but I have a lot more sodas, jars, dairy, pharmacy, liquor and other bottles to look at.  

---

A couple days ago I did a post on arrowheads and points.  Below are a couple Native American artifacts that I posted in the past.


Plummet Found by Bill T. at Jupiter Beach.

The Treasure Beaches Report Direct From Florida's Treasure Coast.: 7/16/19 Report - Native American Plummet. Old Spanish Friendship Bracelet. Roman Shot. Archaeological Metal Detecting. Old Lead Physics.


Broken Spear Point Found
on South Hutchinson Island Beach

The Treasure Beaches Report Direct From Florida's Treasure Coast.: 7/2/19 Report - Part of Rosary Found Off Shore by Sea Reaper. Lead Shot Found. Revolutionary War Records Free. Spear Point.


Good hunting,

Treasuregudide@comcast.net

Grand Marnier - History / Origins (diffordsguide.cr)







Stunningly Preserved Time Capsule Ship Found | Watch (msn.com)


I have some coins sitting around that I've been meaning to inspect for errors and varieties but haven't gotten around to it yet.

While I like finding coins and things, coin collecting otherwise doesn't excite me much.  I don't l like buying coins and can't remember ever buying one.  After thinking about it, I did buy a widows mite for my parents many years ago.  And also many years ago I bought a coin off eBay that was a fake and I got my money refunded.

I find the many varieties overwhelming and hate the tons of state quarters, national park quarters etc. etc.  I'd rather they not produce so many different kinds.  

---



As for inspecting coins for errors and varieties, like so many activities, to do it well takes a lot of time and study and it seems I have enough going on that sitting down and doing it for the meagre results you usually get isn't encouraging.




It's not uncommon.  I often awake in the middle of the night thinking of something.  But recently I woke up from a dream that reminded me of one part of my college days.  In 1966 or thereabouts, instead of rooming ina dorm, I rented an upstairs room in an old house from an elderly man and woman.  The old house stood on a steep street on a hillside overlooking the small river town.  

I don't know how many thoughts crossed my mind first, but I found myself wondering how much I paid in rent for the room.  I know it wasn't much.  I suspect it was something like maybe $20 dollars a month, which in today's terms seems ridiculously low, but maybe it was that little.  I don't know. 

I was thinking about how little my college education cost me.   But when I wondered how much I pad for that room, my next though was, "I'll ask mom."  I thought she might remember.  My next thought was, "I can't.  The realization stunned me.  

I often see something on TV or think of something I think she'd like to know, and I start to call her, only before I realize that she is no longer there and I can't.

Before she passed away, her memory for recent things was getting pretty bad..  She wouldn't remember  what, if anything, she ate that day, but her memory of the old times was excellent, and I'd often ask her about some person, place or event, and she'd know.   She remembered almost everything about my youth and hers.  I would test her sometimes and would be amazed.  She seemed to remember everybody in her high school.  I sure don't.

Oddly, although she was a generation older, our childhoods were very similar.  We grew up in the same area surrounded by the same farms and fields and barns.  My childhood home was built right next to her childhood home.  We both attended the same elementary school.  Though twenty years apart, we both walked to school every on the same red dog road, passing the same huge oak tree, the same barns, and crossed the same bridge before getting to school.  Her youth and mine were very similar.  

And, of course, her years as a young mother were very special years for her.

Even when she had a hard time remembering if she ate anything that day or what it might have been, I could ask her if she remembered this or that time from seventy or more years ago, and it seemed she always did.  Now, many of those memories are mine alone, and I miss sharing them with someone else that was there.

I remember once standing on the top of the hill behind my childhood home and looking out over the countryside on a chill Fall day.  The grass was brown and the trees bare.  I stood there alone and looked into the distance as far as I could see.  There was such a quiet stillness.   I felt like that last night, when I looked into my distant past and realized I was now alone in those special memories. 

Like the Fall leaves that have blown away, the years have come and gone, but each morning when we awake, I join my wife in looking ahead to the new day and make new memories together, and occasionally we pause to look back at those times that only we shared.

Joyce, do you remember when...




---

If you don't know what a red dog road is see Red dog covered back roads 60 years ago - Farm and Dairy.

.


Matthew 6:54

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.