Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 30, 2024

1/30/23 Report - Changing Times and Changing Finds: One New Find Returned. Bronze Age Jewelry in the Lake. Giant Sphinx.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Phone Recently Dug by Mark G.

Mark G. found dug the above working phone and sent the following account.

I’ve been around for more than a half century (a lot more) and have seen a lot of change and no, not the change you dig up, but the change in what you dig up. Sunday I went to a popular pier and beach and dug up my first cell phone. In the old days (a term old people use) it would have been a wedding band or family heirloom that could be identified and return to it’s owner but I have not to date dug any of those. Nowadays (another old person word) it’s modern electronics. I was going to just throw the cell phone in my trinket jar however when I picked it up it vibrated? I took a closer look removed the cover and it was a brand new Samsung and it worked! I was able to find the owners profile as well as later that night it rang, the person on the other end asked if I had found a cell phone her mother had lost that day. I commenced to tell her how I dug it out of the sand at the surf line and don’t know how it still works. Any way I will be mailing it back to Linda (owner of the phone) today.

Thanks Mark.  That is a long overdue topic that I've thought about before but never posted.

I once found a pager and returned it after being paged by the owner.  It was probably something like twenty years ago.  I bet some of the younger people don't remember pagers.  I couldn't even think of what they were called when I started to write this.  That is another indication of how the times have changed.  I thought "buzzer" and then "beeper" and looked around a little online before coming up with the term "pager."

I've dug a few cell phones, but they were destroyed.

Detectorists used permission forms to record the permission they got to detect private property.  A cell phone could be used to record permission too.  One day a fellow came to my door and asked if he could collect some palmetto seeds on my property.  He had a cell phone in his hand when he asked for permission.  I don't know if he recorded my answer or not, but he could have.  It wouldn't be a bad idea, but Florida law requires both parties consent to having conversations recorded.  That can be accomplished.  Having a form is still a good idea.  A written agreement would often be more detailed and explain details such as the distribution of finds etc.

=== 



An excavation of a dried-out lake has unveiled 550 bronze artifacts and skeletal remains from over 3,000 years ago, shedding light on an ancient ritual...

Most of the artifacts uncovered appeared to be arm and neck jewelry, the study reported, as well as what could have been a woman's outfit. The remains of 33 humans appeared to have been put in the lake before the metal was, suggesting that the dead were buried here before the metal rituals were made.

So, it appears that while the Chelmno group differed in many ways from others in Lusatian culture, it seems the ritual practices and their belief system aligned later on, the study reported...

Here is the link.

Bronze Jewelry Find Shines Light on Ancient Lake Ritual (newsweek.com)

----

Giant Sphinx Moth.

I saw this Giant Sphinx moth the other day.  The Giant Sphinx moth is the largest moth in the U.S.  This one measures over four inches long.  That is the first time I saw one of those.

It flies and eats like a hummingbird and feeds with a long proboscis.  If you see one in motion, you might think it is a hummingbird.  

Here is the link.

Cocytius antaeus - Wikipedia

---

Twenty-five percent of Americans say it is “probably” or “definitely” true that the FBI instigated the attack on the U.S. Capitol...

The Post-UMD poll finds a smaller 11 percent of the public overall thinks there is “solid evidence” that FBI operatives organized and encouraged the attack, while 13 percent say this is their “suspicion only.”

Among Republicans, 34 percent say the FBI organized and encouraged it, compared with 30 percent of independents and 13 percent of Democrats.

Here is the link.

A quarter of Americans believe the FBI instigated Jan. 6 attack, poll finds - The Washington Post

Interesting.  So fewer Republicans than Others" believe in the right-wing conspiracy.  

---

No big surf this week.

Good hunting,

Treasureguide@comcast.net