Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 23, 2024

1/23/23 Report - One Reader's Three Ring Day. Another Detectorist Happy To Dig Iron. A Good Reference on Old Woodworking Tools.

 

Written by the TresasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Cleaned (left) and Uncleaned (right)
Finds by Michael T.

I received these photos and the following message from Michael T. Monday.

The strong North winds Saturday night made some nice cuts along the Stuart Jensen Beach area. I was anxious to get out with the new Minelab Equinox 900 for its maiden voyage so I started early in the chilly wind.
   As always there was a few spots I had been watching and several of them opened up a bit more reveling some treasures.
    It was my first 3 ring day ever and first Tungsten ring.
      The improvements on the 900 vs the 800 are definitely noticeable but more importantly you have to just be out there doing it if you want to find things. I’m sure my well worn 800 would have found most of these targets but watching the weather and knowing when and where to hunt will always bring more success than owning any top of the line machine.
   It was also nice to be in the sunshine. We have had more than the usual amount of cloudy days this winter season it seems.  Happy Hunting :)

More of Michael T.'s Finds.


Cut Stretch of Beach
Submitted by Michael T.

Portuguese Man O' War
Submitted by Michael T.

Nice finds.  Congratulations.
And thanks for sharing, Michael.

I've said this before, but the tentacles of the Man O' War can give you a good sting.

====

Below is a message and photo of a find by Mark G.

This find is dedicated to all those who only dig up the gold and silver. Keep leaving those iron nails in the ground I’ll get them, and I do get them. I dig a lot of rusty iron but I am only 6 months with my new machine so I dig everything, even if it’s under 10 (Ferrous iron filter for the Legend). Well today it paid off, I believe I pulled up a very, very, old ships auger. I was experimenting with a beach that only sees walkers (walkers lose stuff too) south of Jensen Beach no real population or beach access for aways. Looks like I hit it with my scoop just under the tee handle and that pried it from the shell bed. I also knock off the patina right in the right place so you can see the hand forge weld on the handle and very old iron, then I dropped it on the side walk going back to the car and knock patina off of the drill end giving a glimpse of the cutting edge. I want to believe this is from one of the 1715 ships toolboxes that, with a wooden handle it would’ve once had, floated and washed ashore. Unfortunately the screw auger and gimlet didn’t enter ship building until the 1800s. Besides the internet, my only Archeologist education and experience is from 12 seasons of Oak Island but I can tell this is an old piece of iron. I still want to believe this is an artifact and would like to get it dated.


Auger Find by Mark G.

---

Woodworking Tools 1600-1900 by Peter C. Welsh is a Project Gutenberg eBook that is free online.
The work is illustrated and describes the evolution of various tools.
One of the illustrations from 
Woodworking Tools 1600-1900 by Peter C. Welsh

A good free reference.  Below is the link.
The Project Gutenberg eBook of Woodworking Tools, 1600–1900, by Peter C. Welsh.

---



Surf Chart From Surfguru.com.

I received a few ideas on Shell's mystery find that I posted yesterday.  Let me know what you think.


Good hunting,

Treasureguide@comcast.net