Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 10, 2024

7/10/24 Report - Artifact: Cast Iron Waypak. Notes Appreciating More Than Coins. Sir Frances Drake Voyage.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


System Forming Off Florida Treasure Coast.
Source: nhc.noaa.gov

I've been surprised nothing else developed sooner.  Don't know if this system will develop or not, but the SurfGuru isn't predicted any bigger surf for the next week.  Just something to watch.

---



Values Appreciate; New Security Features in the Works.
With the supply of many of the better notes being paltry, their value may continue to appreciate, possibly faster than that of their metal coin counterparts...

Notice the low six-digit serial number on the bill above.


Here is the link for more about that.

---

I've said this before, but I like artifacts as well as or even better than coins.  I especially like artifacts that show clear signs of use.  I also like coins that show use better than uncirculated coins, but as you know, the coin collecting community puts a higher premium on coins that show no wear at all.

Waypak Hollow Ware Cast Iron Skillet.

The Waypak Hollow Ware cast Iron Pan shown above dates between 1903 to 1926.  It has a nice Native American with full headdress on the bottom of the pan and is highly collectible, very much like the Griswold cast iron Dutch Oven I showed a few days ago.  You can see the trademark in the photo above. even though the pan could be cleaned better,

Extended Handle on Cast Iron Skillet.

Maybe you noticed the short handle on this pan.  Someone thought it was too short and added an extension.  I really like that.  People of that time and age made do with what they had and many were very handy at repairing or modifying things.  They did a good job too.  The extension on the handle is very tight and solid.

Extended Handle Added to Cast Iron Skillet.

The added-on handle is marked 1943.  So the extension is a lot later than the skillet, but both show signs of good use.  

---

One thing I like about treasure hunting and metal detecting is that it is a very "green" hobby.  Coins and all kinds of finds are found, and in many cases, returned to use.  

The number of coins that are found and returned to circulation by detectorists every year must be huge.  I've returned many coins to circulation in the past.  I think I returned about 10,000 coins to circulation one year.  I'd have to check the old records, but I'm pretty sure it was that many.  That saves resources.  It conserved the metal used and reduces the cost of manufacturing new coins.

The same goes for many finds.  I like to find useable things.   Anything from tools to hats.  These pans are good examples.  They are very useful and, in some ways, better than the stuff they make today.

As I've said before, I found almost all of the hats I wear.  I've found a lot of useful stuff.  And everything that is brought back to use prevents the necessity of using more resources and energy in manufacturing new things.

I'm very conservative in the sense of not wanting to waste either materials or energu and like when things are repurposed.

This year, I had to empty two residences.  I hated to waste some perfectly good things.  Many items that were very nice got thrown out simply because I did not have the time to find a better home for them.   I a LOT of items to thrift stores hoping they would to be used by someone - anyone - rather than being thrown in the garbage.

People are so wasteful these days.  They can afford a lot and complain when they can't get some fancy new thing, but they don't want used things.  They don't want to repurpose things.  They can't imagine having old things.  Such a waste!  And those are people that will tell you to save water, energy, or almost anything, yet they are very wasteful.  

One reason I like metal detecting is the "conservative" nature of it.  I like recovering things that are of some value and can be used.

===

Sotheby's is auctioning antique books and manuscripts.  Below is one example.  It is a 17th century book of voyages made by Sir Francis Drake.  The book is a treasure itself and worth several thousand dollars, but more than that, a careful reader might find a lot of good leads and clues in the book.


In the past I purchased a lot of good old books and sold some.  But Florida is not the easiest place for collecting books.  The hot humid environment can be tough on books.  In Florida, nice old books should be stored in a controlled environment, or they will deteriorate.

---

Good hunting,
TreasueGuide@comcast.net