Search This Blog

Sunday, July 28, 2024

7/28/24 Report - Artifacts From Shipwreck Found. Remembering Metal Detecting Spots and Finds Via Google Maps.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Spikes and Various New Finds Submitted by James M

James M. found these items and thinks he might have found a new shipwreck.  He asked how to clean the items and I gave him instructions on how to start.


Two Views of Unidentified Encrusted Find.

I asked James to send photos of individual spikes etc.  An anchor was found too.


---

Metal detecting provides a lot of memories.  If I use use google maps to look up and down the coast at the various beaches, many memories come to mind    Some are of particular finds, others are of spots and others are of events that occurred coincident to metal detecting.  \

When I look at some fo the beaches I've hunted in the past, I can see many changes.  Some hotels or resorts are completely gone for example.  Other places have changed in other ways.

Below is just one of many areas that I metal detected in the past.  It is one of many.  I selected it somewhat randomly.  I haven't been there for probably 25 years, but some of the memories remain.




I often hunted in front of the building you can see right on the beach.  Back then coins and silver jewelry would collect right in front of the building.  There was a little sea wall on the south, which I don't see in the picture above (maybe its buried or gone now).  But in front of the building was a collecting spot for coins and jewelry, including a lot of silver and turquoise.  I marked that area with a blue line in the picture.

Besides the area just in front of the building which I remember as a good spot, I remember a couple specific finds just to the north of the building. I found a very heavy gold bracelet where the little x is.  And back closer to the street where the sand was eroded and where I put the other blue mark, I found the coin shown below.  

It is about silver dollar size.

Mexico Coin Find.

I didn't know what it was.  I hadn't been detecting but a year or two when I found it. I didn't know what it was when I found it.  It turned out to be a 1957 Mexico peso.  At the time, I got excited when I first saw it, and that is probably the reason I remember it.  I think you can see why I got excited and thought it might be something better.  It is silver, so although it is not in good condition it is worth a little.

See Mexico ESTADOS UNIDOS MEXICANOS Peso KM 459 Prices & Values | NGC (ngccoin.com)

I could scan north or south between the Hillsboro Inlet and the Florida Keys and remember many many places and finds like that.

---


Source: nhc.noaa.gov.

The area that I noticed a day or two ago is developing.  Looks like it could eventually come our way.

The Treasure Coast surf remains small for the time being.

Good hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net