Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 30, 2024

7/30/24 Report - Maybe Storms Coming Our Way As Hurricane Season Picks Up. Remembering a Few More Metal Detecting Finds From the Past.

 

Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Source; nhc.noaa.gov.

Looks like something might be coming our way.  It now has a greater chance of becoming a tropical storm in the next forty-eight hours and the cone is a little fatter, but it looks like it, whatever it becomes, could be affecting Florida in a few days.  It is that time of year.  The dust coming off of Africa has been damping things some, but we are just getting into the active part of hurricane season.  It is something to keep an eye on.

Surf Chart For the Fort Pierce Area From Surfguru.com.

As you can see, we are still having a small surf on the Treasure Coast.  And we are still getting those hot south winds.

I've probably been to the beach only a few times this year.  The past few years have been difficult, but I sold mom's house. I'm glad I got that done and hope to get back to more metal detecting in the near future.  I also cleaned out my wife's aunt's house, which happened to be in Butler County Pennsylvania, which you heard so much about lately.  I've had a lot to do but think I'm over the hump and will have some free time again.

---

A day or two ago, I showed a spot that I detected back in the day.  Here is another one of those from Google maps.

In a four hour period of metal detecting, I picked up fourteen, or was it fifteen rings, at this eroded beach (shown below), along with a lot of the 35mm WWII shells.

I was saying how some finds and events stick in memory.  That was a big one for me.  I think it was the largest number of rings I ever found in a four-hour period, but there were other finds from that area that I remember.


You'll notice the little bend in the creek where boats often parked.  The bank eroded there and the boats would stir things up and create holes.  That was fun.  I found an unusual nickel plate pen knife there.

Also, in front the building to the north of that, I remember finding an Indian head penny.

I clearly remember one more band from that area because of the circumstances of the find, not because it was anything special. 

I didn't hunt that area a lot, but the little time I spend there was pretty productive, especially that one day.

When I went there, it was never very busy.  I'm sure it is much more busy these days, but I heard they don't allow metal detecting there now.

I could go to many spots like that and recall specific finds and events.  That is one of the neat things about detecting.

---

As hurricane season picks up, I'll be watching for storms.  Might as well get prepared.  Maybe we'll have some erosion before long.

Good hunting,

Treasureguide@comcast.net