Search This Blog

Thursday, July 18, 2024

7/19/24 Report - Mystery Item and Repurposed Copper Artifacts. Study on Bone Tools.


Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Flat or Rolled Copper Mystery Item.

You can see the same item below in the palm of a hand (left).  I looks a little like the point 0small top edge) might be broken, but when I looked at it closely, first glance seemed to suggest that it might be intentionally rounded, but after looking at it at various angles, I think it could be broken. I'm just not sure.

The one surface shown below, looks very corroded, as you can see below.  The other side looks more regular.


Small Flat Copper Item.            Point of Same Item Magnified.     Surface of Same Item Magnified.


When I noticed yesterday it looked to me like it might be a small copper trade arrowhead.  I'm pretty sure I saw some of those that looked very much like that before.  I'll try to find those pictures.

One book I use a lot is The Identification Guide to Recovered Colonial and Revolutionary War Artifacts by Timothy McGuide.  It is shown below.


A lot of the artifacts are recovered repurposed or reused items, many of copper salvaged from worn out pots or whatever.  The same book shows arrowheads made of scrap, or sometimes called kettle, copper.

Here are some of the examples.

Items Made of Repurposed Copper.
1, 2, 5 and 6 are Described as Arrowheads.

That is a good book.

The mystery item looks like some bird or trade arrowheads I've seen in pictures, but at this point I'd only give it about a one percent chance of being an arrowhead.  It could be a decorative sidepiece or something.  

If you have any ideas what it might be, let me know.  Or if you can find photos of items like it, let me know.

Thanks.

---

Here is a link to an old post showing some great copper Native American finds.


---

Deer Antler Projectile Points.


Here is a brief excerpt from the article.

...

Here is the link for more about that.


I've seen what have been identified as bone points found in Florida with other artifacts.

I couldn't find where I showed them in old posts right off.

Below is a link to a post showing a nice old fossil deer tine.


---

Nothing much on the hurricane map and the local surf will remain small.

The mid0day low tide yesterday was as low as I've seen for quite some time.

Good hunting,
Treasutreguide@commcast.net