Search This Blog

Sunday, July 14, 2024

7/14/24 Report - Water Hunting For Hot Weather: A Few Tips. A Few New Bottle Finds.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


Treasureguide Coming Up With Gold Chain.

The photo at the top of yesterday's post reminded me of one of my favorite photos.  I'm talking about the one above.  It was taken years ago.  By the metal detector, which is a Fisher 1280, I'd say it was at least twenty-five years ago that the picture was taken.   I remember that chain too.

When I went to look for that photo, I discovered a post that is still very relevant for today.  Since the weather has been so hot the past couple of months, you might find water hunting much more comfortable.  It keeps you cooler even when you are just wading.

Below is part of that old post.


I generally like to be as free as possible. That means not too much equipment or specialized gear. I want to be flexible and able to walk into the water or up onto land without changing equipment or anything. I therefore often use just the basic equipment that will work well both in the water and on land and nothing extra.

Sometimes though, if you go out knowing that you want to be in the water you might find some of the gear you see in this picture helpful.

The wetsuit can help maintain body temperature on cold days. It can also help protect your skin from pests such as Portuguese Man-O-War or sea lice. Also, of course, it protects your skin from the sun.

I found the Man-O-War to be a more common problem in South Florida than on the Treasure Coast even though they do show up on the Treasure Coast from time to time.

The snorkel and mask can be helpful at times. One of the advantages is that it can help you see the bottom better. That can help you see items and better see the bottom conditions and treasure traps, including things such as dips or pot holes.

One of the things I don't like about wearing a mask is that I feel less aware of my surroundings, both visually and aurally. I also don't like carrying it around if I decide to exit the water or go into very shallow water.

A weight belt can help even if you don't wear weights because you can strap equipment such as pouch or snorkel mask to the weight belt when you are not using it.

One advantage of snorkeling is that unlike the optometrist that fell into the lens grinder and made a spectacle of himself, you can work near crowds without drawing as much attention to yourself. Most people won't see what you are doing and won't ask as many questions while your head is in the water. On the other hand, it might be more difficult to keep an eye on them.

I might or might not choose to use a scoop when snorkeling, depending upon the situation. When not using a scoop, I'll either hand or foot-fan.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both wading and snorkeling. I like to be flexible enough to change quickly on the fly.


Yesterday I had some time to take a little walk to see what I could find. It was hot but the water was calm and visibility was great.

Aqua THE A 1 SAUCE Embossed Bottle.



The first thing I found was a pair of old binoculars that someone had dropped in the water.  They looed like they had been in the water for quite a while.  Later I found a couple bottles.  The one shown above is the first of those.  It is an A1 Sauce bottle.  Below is what I learned about it.


Here is the link for more about A1 sauce.

A1: a history of Brand & Co - Let's Look Again (letslookagain.com)

The A1 bottle is interesting because of the embossing, but the bottle doesn't appear to be real old.  I found an older bottle, which is shown below.  it is well over a hundred years old.  It is a blown bottle with some nice bubbles and a lot of stretch marks around the neck.

R & Co. Bottle.

This blown aqua bottle is most likely a beer bottle.  The only mark is the manufacturer mark R & Co. on the bottom, which indicates the Reed Co.  As you can see from the chart, this bottle would be earlier than 1904. 

This bottle does have a maker's mark on the bottom - R & Co. which indicates the Reed and Co.


Here is a link for more about that.


I also picked up an older unmarked crown top bottle, but it was machine made.  I like blown bottles better.  

---

Back when the Ukraine war began I quit using the phrase Happy Hunting.  It just didn't seem too frivolous when people were being killed like they were.  I didn't feel right using it.  Things haven't improved.  Recent events make me sad for our country.  

Pray for peace.
TreasureGuide@comcast.net