Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 10, 2024

7/11/24 Report - New Small Gold Find. Markings on Sample of Rings - Gold to Not.

 

Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


`14K Diamond Earring

I haven't gone metal detecting for a long time but yesterday I found a dime and the earring shown above.  I haven't had the stone tested yet, but the chances are good that it is a diamond.  That is my conclusion after finally finding the gold markings, which required good magnification.

Post Marked 14K and With Hallmark. 
Earring Nut Mark Italy and 14K

You have to be set for the smalls to detect something like this.  There is a good chance you'd miss it otherwise.

---

While I had the microscope going I pulled out a little bag of what I remembered to be junk rings that were found a long time ago before I had the microscope.  I wanted to see how they were marked and if I missed anything.  I thought they were mostly plated but wanted to check.

Variety of Rings.

I was a little surprised by what I found.  Several rings had no mark at all like the one shown immediately below.

Unmarked Ring.

Of course, the unmarked rings are mostly junk.  Then there was the one that was clearly marked 10K (shown below).  It also had a hallmark.

10K Marked Ring.

I'm not sure about the next one.  Maybe it is GEP 10K, but I'm not sure about the GEP mark, which would make sense.

GEP 10K(?)

Then there was the clear 14K Plate mark.

Ring Marked 14K PLATE.


And an 18K GE for Gold Electroplate.


18K GE Mark.

And there were two marked KOREA, which surprised me.

Rings Marked KOREAN



And there were a few more that had brand name or other marks.

SETA Mark.

And I'm nto sure about the next one.

(?) Mark.

In summary, many of those rings were electroplated and a few were marked that way.  One is 10K.  A lot of them looked nice, but upon close inspection you could see where the plating was worn even if there wasn't a clear mark.

---

Source: nhc.noaa.gov.

Not much change.  Still one system out there, but it hasn't developed yet and probably won't.

Later in the week the Treasure Coast surf might be a touch bigger, but not much.

Good hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net