Search This Blog

Thursday, December 10, 2020

12/10/20 Report - Some Recent Military and Other Finds From North Florida. Spoon Rings. Florida Frog Songs.

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


Couple Great Military Buttons Found by Scott B.


I just received the photos shown above with the email shown below from Scott B.

  As always, I want to thank you for all that you continue to do. Your advice on metal detecting and your great insight on what’s going on in our Country. Posting the Gettysburg address is so spot on, I hate to see the direction we’re heading.
   Anyway, it looks like things are slowing down a bit on the Treasure Coast and thought some pictures from the Fernandina Beach area might be interesting. This was the first time I’ve found a military button, and ended up finding two in a day along with some musket balls and other items. I wish every day was this productive.
   Thanks again for all you do.

And here are some more finds made by Scott.


More Recent Finds Made by Scott B.

Congratulations on your first military buttons Scott! Nice finds.

I definitely remember when I found my first military buttons, which were also found along with musket balls and other military artifacts.

A little research will normally turn up a lot of information on military buttons, including when they were probably lost.

Thanks for sharing.

---

Christopher N. was also having some luck in north Florida.   He sent me three photos, but this is the only one I could open.

Some Recent Finds by Chris M.

Here is what he had to say about that spoon ring.

Upon inspection on the inside there is writing.
You all are going to love this -
It’s marked Oneida LTD.
Apparently is a spoon end and was bent either by tide or someone made it that way.
Anyway! A different type of find.
Still not finished waiting for tide to go out.

Respectfully
ChrisN

Thanks Chris.

--- 

The history of spoon rings is a long one.  It is said that it began in the 17th century when servants would steal a piece of cutlery and make it into a ring.  The act of theft for which the servant could be severely punished showed the extent of his love.

In the 1960s and 1970s spoon rings became fashionable again.

Here is one of many sources for that.

About Spoon Rings: the History of the Spoon Ring – Lost & Forged (lostandforged.com)

---

I received more emails, which I'll get back to in the future.  The past several days I've been doing a lot of family and holiday stuff, so need to catch up again before long.


Near the headwaters of the Everglades in Central Florida in the quiet of deep night, I awoke to an angelic Hallelujah chorus sung by thousands, or perhaps millions of tree frogs and who knows how many other species of wetland creatures.  As difficult as it is to see frogs as angelic, their song coming through the windows and wall could hardly be described otherwise.  In the middle of the night when the normal clatter and distractions have subsided, the fanned spark of life awakens to the overwhelming symphonies of the soul.  

There is such a thin line between brilliance and darkness.  We teeter on such a thin edge.  The symphony was there before, but remained unnoticed until the world became silent.  

Darkness makes the light more apparent.  I'll never forget camping in Yosemite and looking up at the night sky and seeing what seemed like many times the number of stars that I'd ever seen before.  As the shadow of the sun passed over what would become the dark side of the earth, the curtain was lifted and millions of twinkling lights and other worlds were exposed.  Darkness never wins (John 1:5).

Some wonder why I do this blog, and sometimes maybe so do I, but at times like this, I know.  Writing forces me to develop and refine ideas and experiences and crystalize them for keeping and sharing.  I write as much for me as others.  I like observing and thinking.  Writing can be something like catching lightning bugs in a jar so they can be held and admired more closely and clearly.

---

There are a lot of different kinds of tree frogs in Florida and each has its own sound.  Here is a link that will help you learn to identify Florida frogs from their song.

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/discover-herps/florida-frog-calls/

---

Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.

The Treasure Coast surf is going to be good and small for several days.  

Happy hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net