Search This Blog

Sunday, December 13, 2020

12/13/20 Report - Finds. Additional Coin Cleaning Methods. Equipment Failure. Odd Statue.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


John Brooks A Couple of Days Ago.

This is a photo of John Brooks beach that I posted a couple of days ago.  Alberto S. lightened it up some so you can see it much better.

Notice the sand and the footprints, which show how mushy the sand was.

Thanks Alberto.


---

Bronze Celtic Stature With Gold Eyes Found by Archaeologists.
Source: See link below.

... The research revealed more than 800 objects from various eras, from prehistoric times to modern history. Most objects belong to the Lathenian era, overlapping with the Roman era.

“These are mostly Celtic coins, Bronze clips and other parts of clothing, products from clay, ceramics, wharve and glass beads and bracelets,” Hudáková said, as quoted by the TASR...

Here is the link for more about that.

Archaeologists discover Bronze Celtic statue with golden eyes - spectator.sme.sk


---


Cleaning Ancient Coins.

Here is an article on cleaning old ancient coins.  It covers a lot of different methods.  The article presents a number of good reminders and tips.

I've covered some coin cleaning methods before and in treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com I posted some links to those methods that I use most on silver cobs in the reference link section.

Here is the link to the new article.

Ancient Coins - Barry & Darling Cleaning Raw/Uncleaned Coins (bitsofhistory.com) 

---

Broken Coil Ears.

I got the following email from DJ describing a problem he had with his Equinox metal detector. Sounds like the problem is not uncommon, so you might want to take a look at it.  It could be a problem with any metal detector, although I have never personally had one break like that before.


... one coil ear broke on my Equinox.  MInelab quickly sent a RMA and I shipped it yesterday. My brother in law has kindly offered his ATX for my use so I am taking this down time to learn a little about using it. Your past blogs on the ATX are as always, very insightful and helpful.

Lots of talk about Equinox coil ear stiffeners and washers. Got the NOX in mid 2018. Almost two years ago I had added thicker washers shortly after hearing the creak at the swivel; never a good sign in plastic parts. Yesterday when I disassembled the coil/shaft grains of sand were between each washer and the plastic parts, even though I wash it down every time I return from the beach. Both the ears showed white scoring marks where the washers sit and white rub marks where the bolt touched each coil ear hole. Possible whitish areas on the outside of the coil ear break might indicate a crack slowly developed. 

The thick washers do help when the coil ears are tightened and prevent them from bending inward. Minelab washers were too thin I think.  Never used under water which is what many say happened, might have pushed down once in a while while digging but tried not to do that. I do keep the coil lightly touching the sand when I hunt.  All of this is just my guess.

So I will add disassembly, washing out and lubricating the new coil ears/coil bolt when it returns...

Break On Equinox Coil Ear.
Photo by DJ.

Thanks for the heads up DJ.

---

In my 11/23/20 post, I posted a photo of what has been referred to as an Olive Blossom ring found by Terry S.  Terry says an expert determined that the ring dates to earlier than the 18th century.  

Here is the link to the original photo of the find.


---

The old treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com blog still gets hundreds of views daily.  You can still find older posts there.


We've been having nice high tides but a one foot surf.  I'm itching for some good rough surf to return, but next week it is only expect to run 2 - 3 feet.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net