Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 28, 2021

9/26/21 Report - Treasure Coast Beach Conditions and Some Finds. Notes On Innovative Recovery Tool.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

John Brooks Beach Tuesday Morning.

I went out to the beach this morning.  I woke up thinking of one target I left behind recently, and thought I'd see if I could go get it.   When I left it, it was in rough water and the tide was coming in, so I gave up on it for the time being.  

I was hoping to catch it at a lower tide this morning, but the tides are pretty flat now.  I couldn't find the target I was looking for, but the area was producing some targets so I did a little detecting.

John Brooks beach was not much changed from Sunday when I was last there.  You can see that above.  The slope was still mushy at least half the way down the slope.

John Brooks Beach Tuesday Morning.


I found one small area where I spent some time digging a concentration of small targets.  You can see some of them below.  You can see how small some are.  There were a lot of pieces of lead, including a bullet, and also small pieces of copper.  The one object is the biggest object I found.  I'll take a closer look at some of those when I get the time.  I'm not sure what some of them are.  The dime was found in dry sand on the way out.


Miscellaneous Dug Items From One Small Area.

Yesterday I mentioned a variety of types of digging tools including one innovative one that makes use of a drill.   I heard from Robert J. who made that device.  Here is what he said.


I'm a daily reader of your blog and have been for years now.  I was reading your blog today and had to smile a little.  I'm a systems engineer by trade and am always looking to make a better mousetrap. The auger was one of my attempts.  Not sure if I'm the one you saw, but as far as I know I was the first to use it.  If it was me you saw, I would have most likely been on one of the more popular treasure coast beaches last Winter and had a protected cordless drill attached to an auger bit inside a bucket.  If not, imitation is one of the greatest forms of flattery!

Believe it or not, the "post hole digger" works much better than you would think it would. It especially shines in the shallow surf where traditional scoops can be frustrating.  The wave action actually helps to retrieve the object by sifting the lighter material (sand/shell).  It's also capable of quickly digging multiple targets without the concern of losing them.  Last November, my record was 11 musket balls and multiple other various pieces of lead in the bucket when I finally emptied.

There are however a few cons with the auger apparatus.  For one, it only weighs a pound or two more than a scoop but doesn't drag as easily behind you and is certainly bulkier.  Two, my drill clutch wore out after a year.  I guess not too bad since I estimate I dug well over 1000 holes.

I have made several improvements and variations to my original "post hole digger" now and am just waiting for the right conditions to put the latest version to use!

Keep up the great blog!

Best Regards,

Robert J.


Thanks Robert. I'm pretty sure it was you that I saw. I love the innovation and appreciate the pros and cons.

Thanks for writing, and good luck.

---

Source: nhc.noaa.gov.

Sam is going to stay far out in the Atlantic.  The other red x to the south is worth watching, although I would expect it to curve north too.

Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.

Not much hope for the coming week.

I received another great email that I'll probably comment on tomorrow.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net