Search This Blog

Saturday, September 11, 2021

9/11/21 Report - Finds That Surprised - From The Past Up To The Present.

 Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Luxor Hotel Ten Dollar Silver Gaming Token.

Every once in a while, maybe every ten thousand coins or so, up pops a coin that really surprises you.  Maybe it is a foreign coin made of precious metals.  Maybe it is a commemorative coin or a much older coin than you expected to find at the location you are hunting.  Maybe it is in surprising condition.  Or maybe it is still in a special protective case, such as the silver gaming token shown above.

That Luxor token was found at the edge of the water in Pompano Beach maybe 25 years ago.  It was perfectly protected and in like-new condition, still in the plastic case - which is one of the things that surprised me about it.  I posted it in treasurebeachesreport years ago.  

The next one caught me by surprise.  It was found a few years ago on a beach, and I didn't recognize it at at first.  It was found in an out-of-the-way location where I would never expect to find anything like it.  

At first it looked like this.


Through the corrosion I could see what looked to me like a cross on one side, and I thought it must be a fake treasure coin, so I just threw it in my pocket, not thinking much of it.

Here is what it looked like after it was cleaned.

1966 100 PTAS.

I don't know how it got to where it was found, but some people think, from the location, that it could have been lost during a drug transaction.  Could be.  I can only guess.

And below is one that really surprised me in my early days of metal detecting.  I posted it before too.  That one was found on Hollywood Beach long ago.  Like the others, I wondered what this coin was doing on a beach.  


1952 Silver Jubilee One Crown.

And then there are those surprises that take it to another level.  You don't believe they are real, but then maybe...


1/4 Oz. 1983 Panda Still in Protective Case.


This coin looks like a 1983 25 Yuan Panda coin in beautiful condition.  It is in a sealed plastic envelope that protected it nicely.

---

Hurricane Larry didn't do much for us.  The water got high, but the angles just weren't there.  And the wave periods were big (around 13 seconds).

It might have been possible to find a very few spots where rocks or other obstructions actually caused some small erosion, but i so they were evidently not located on the major wreck beaches.  If there were some, I didn't look around enough to find them.


As you can see the surf is decreasing again.   

There are no significant storms anywhere close to us now.   Maybe something will pop up eventually.  Otherwise we'll just have to wait for rougher fall and winter weather.

----

Twenty years later, remembering 911 and all those who were lost.

TreasureGuide@comcast.net.