Search This Blog

Sunday, September 26, 2021

9/26/21 Report - Treasure Coast Beaches Now. Old Beach Coin Finds And Condition.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

John Brooks North Sunday Morning.

We've been having some good high tides and yesterday we had some wind.  I hadn't been to the beach for a while and decided to go out this morning to take a look.

Here is what I saw.


John Brooks Sunday Morning.

The slope was mushy.  Only the flat in front of the beach was more firm, but low tide was before sunrise.  You can tell that from the footprints in the sand.


Frederick Douglass Sunday Morning.

As is usually the case, Frederick Douglass beach was very much like the John Brooks beach.


Frederick Douglass Beach Sunday Morning.


Rocky Area Farther South.

The days are getting shorter.  Sunrise wasn't until near 6:30.

The other day I was talking about some ways to store coins and the folders you can use.  That reminded me that I hadn't looked closely at a lot of the coins I have stored in folders.  I didn't even have my microscope back when I found many of those coins.  I noticed that some of those coins were almost like new, while others were black and very corroded.  

Here are a couple examples.

Here are a couple liberty head or shield nickels for example.

Two Liberty Head Nickels.

And here are two contrasting Jefferson halves.


1960 and 1953 Jefferson Half Dollar Coins.

The trouble with beach coins is that they are usually corroded or damaged to some extent.  It is very unusual to find one that will grade highly.


Cleaned Mercury Dime

Some beach coins clean up well but upon closer inspection show pitting.  You can see that on the above silver coin.  It shows little wear from circulation, but is corroded.

While you shouldn't clean fine coins at all (it can reduce value), I will clean some beach coins because they aren't in fine condition anyhow.

---

Source: nhc.noaa.gov

I'm not expecting either Sam or that other system to our east to affect our beaches much.


Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.

As you can see, the surf will remain small.

Happy hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net