Search This Blog

Thursday, November 11, 2021

11/11/21 Report - Some New Treasure Coast Finds and Some Other Finds.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


Before getting to the Treasure Coast finds, here is a good one.


In the huge excavation conducted at Yavne by the Antiquities Authority as part of the Israel Land Authority's initiative to expand the city, a spectacular gold ring was recently uncovered, with an inlay of a purple stone...

Researchers are debating the date of the ring. It was found in a fill dated to the end of the Byzantine period and the beginning of the Early Islamic period – the 7th century CE, but it is possible that the ring, due to its beauty and prestige, was transmitted from generation to generation over the centuries. Gold rings inlaid with amethyst stone are known in the Roman world, and it is possible that the ring's find belongs to the elites who lived in the city as early as the 3rd century CE.

Spectacular ancient gold ring unearthed in an excavation in Yavne 2 November 2021 (mfa.gov.il)

---

JamminJack dug up this hook a couple days ago.

Recently Dug Hook With Lettering.
Find and photo by JamminJack.

---

There were a few wreck related finds.  I'm sure I'll hear from some people soon.

Here are a few.

Recently Dug Small Square Nails and Lead Balls.



Deteriorating Iron Spike Dug From Beach.

The past few days I've been discriminating a good bit at one location.  Just too much junk and not enough time.  I'd never do that in the old days.  I could have easily missed the iron spike if I was doing that all the time.  Some of the detectors I used in the past nulled on iron, but I could still tell when it was there.

I have some items that need to be cleaned before I can get a decent photograph.

But here is something big - over one foot long, 7.5 inches in diameter, weighing 32 pounds.  See if you know what it is.


Can You Tell What This Is?

Consider it a mystery find for now, but I know what it is.

I'll have more on that item in the near furure.


Maybe I'll receive photos of other finds from this week.

----

Here is a find made in the past by Cliff R.

Here is what he said about it.

Very Ornate and Nicely Preserved Box Hinge.
Find and photo by Cliff R.

Here is what he said about it.   "...a very lucky find I made when I first started in July 2018 at a beachside construction site (with permission). I thought it was modern when I first held it in my hand because it looked like plating was coming off. But then I turned it over I saw the square-headed nail still inserted into the piece in place of a screw. That site produced a few finds up until Dorian blew through and the owner decided to rescind permissions for detecting."

Super find Cliff!  Thanks for sharing.

---

The surf will be decreasing over the next few days.  

Happy hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net