Search This Blog

Monday, November 8, 2021

11/8/21 Report - High Water On Treasure Coast Beaches Monday. The Highs and Lows of a Hunt.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Detectorist High On John Brooks Beach Monday Afternoon.

I had two beaches on my mind this morning..  One was in Indian River County and one was on South Hutchinson Island.  They are pretty far apart.   I decided to take the long shot - not in distance but in my chances, as I saw it.  The one I chose was a shorter drive, but even though I saw it as a long shot, there could be something good.

I stopped at John Brooks beach Monday around three o'clock I think it was.   I could see where the water had been far back on the beach.

Unlike some of the other beaches, Brooks does not have high dunes in the back that get eroded to create a sharp cliff.

Anyhow, there was this one fellow at John Brooks when I arrived.  He was detecting back behind the slope.


Surf At John Brooks Beach Monday Afternoon Before Low Tide.

The surf was pretty rough and the water had been high, but I saw no cuts.  

I have seen cobs on John Brooks beach when there was no cutting.


John Brooks Beach Monday Afternoon Before Low Tide.

 I only visited South Hutchinson Island today and suspect that the water hit the dunes up around Indian River Shores.  I wasn't real encouraged by the angle of the water though.

 I wouldn't be at all surprised if a few cobs were found today and almost certainly some where musket balls or other artifacts like that were found.  I'd be surprised if nobody found any 1715 items today, even though I didn't look at many beaches today.

I was thinking I made the wrong choice and wasn't finding much.  Just a few crusty modern coins, and then a long distance of nothing.  I was becoming more and more sure I made the wrong choice, but kept going just because I was there and the area had produced some very nice items in the past.  I still thought there was a chance, even though the chances seemed to be growing thinner with each step.

I was thinking of one mistake I made years ago.  And then my mind turned to one item I found in that general area years ago.  Then I found something.  It was more than I hoped for.  Or so I thought, but I wasn't sure yet.  It was partly obscured by shells and crust.

That was the end of my hunt for the day.  It was a long walk, but I finally got it back to the car.  

I was hopeful but didn't know what I had for sure yet.

Soon as I got it home I sprayed it with a hose to blast some of the crust off.  Hmmm.  Looks promising, but I'm still not sure.

When It dried a little and I could see some of the details better.  Looking good, I thought.

Got out my books and looked it up.  Now I'm sure.  I never expected to find something like that, but after almost giving up the hunt, I'm glad I kept going.

Not going to tell anymore right now.  Sorry about that.  I have my reasons, but probably not what you think.   Someday I will. 

I'll check out another beach tomorrow.  Maybe before that somebody will send photos of some of the beaches I didn't see today.  If so, I'll add that to this post if I get them in time.


Surf Predictions for Fort Pierce Area.
Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.

As you can see, the surf will be slacking off over the next few days.

Happy hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net