Search This Blog

Thursday, April 13, 2023

4/13/23 Report - A Couple Recent Finds That Need A Good Cleaning. A Cross and a Spike. Decreasing Surf.

 

Written by the Treasure Guide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Two Sides of Found Cross Pendant.

This cross was completely encrusted when found.  It is about 1.35 inches tall.  It was totally encrusted (photo below).  I've done a lot of cleaning, and it still needs a lot more.  I think I'll end up doing some electrolysis.

Encrusted Cross Surface.

When I found the cross I thought it was old, but after being able to see some of the iconography, I'd say it is no earlier than 19th century.  It was so heavily encrusted and found near older items, so I initially thought it could be earlier.

I love the elaborate iconography and wish that I could see it better.  One panel is probably irrecoverable. I think I'll be able to see the cross better after more cleaning.  It will take some more time.

Below is link to a great web site on the Miraculous Medal.  This cross seems to show much of that imagery.

The Meaning of the Miraculous Medal | The Divine Mercy

---

Encrusted Iron Spike As Recently Found.

I dug what appears to be a broken iron spike (shown above).  I found a couple almost like it before and used electrolysis to clean one of them (shown below).


Broken Iron Spike Shown \
Encrusted and After Electroluysis.


I referred to this in previous posts. See the following.

The Treasure Beaches Report Direct From Florida's Treasure Coast.: 4/2/11 Report - Shipwreck Wood and Spike & $290 Million Treasure

The Treasure Beaches Report Direct From Florida's Treasure Coast.: 6/24/19 Report - Encrusted Objects (EOs), Clumps and Conglomerates and Their Contents.

I'm continuing to work on cleaning some others finds that are heavily encrusted.  

There were some lead balls found the last few days.   Al C. was one person that found a single shot.

---

Of the two finds I mentioned yesterday, the earring I would call pure luck.  It gave me a 15 readout on the Equinox.  I just happened to pass over it.  It was a simple recent drop.

The ring, on the other hand, was in a spot that I tracked down by reading the beach.  I wouldn't likely have found that one otherwise.

I'm working on cleaning some other finds.  Hopefully they won't take as long to clean as the cross.  Looks like I'll be doing some electrolysis.

---

Source: MagicSeaweed.com.

The surf is decreasing.  That might give you chance to get a little farther out into areas that were difficult to detect during the rougher surf.

Good hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net