Search This Blog

Sunday, April 30, 2023

4/30/23 Report - Medieval Gold Coin Found by Detectorist Taking His Kids Detecting. A Couple Bottles.

 

Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Medieval Gold Coin Found by Detectorist.

A metal detectorist who gave up his hobby when he started a family, only to return to it when his children were old enough to nag him into taking them out detecting with him, has been rewarded with one of the most extraordinary finds – a fine example of England’s oldest gold coin, which has sold for a record-breaking £648,000 at auction....

“One day my wife said to me: ‘You realise you promised you’d take the kids metal detecting.’ So, I said: ‘Right, kids, we’re going detecting.’ We found an Elizabethan coin, which they were so excited by. It really ignited my passion so I invested in a new detector.

“The day after it arrived, I went out into this field. It was a bright, sunny day and within 15 minutes I found the coin. I knew it was gold but I had no idea how important it was.”...


Here is the link for the rest of the article.

‘I owe it to the kids’: coin found by detectorist dad sold for £648,000 | Devon | The Guardian

---


My Wife's Salad Dressing Bottle.

 Beside my usual duties, I spent a lot of time cutting up and moving a huge tree that blew down a few days ago and have been tired and not doing much other than watching the NFL draft.  A lot of others were at the cook0out yesterday, but I just noticed that the TreasureBeachesRedport.blogspot.com was getting a ton of views.  I don't know exactly the reason for the recent increase, but the old posts still get a lot of views. The site does have a huge archive and a long list of reference links so I often go back to find information I posted in years past myself.

Anyhow, I found the bottle shown above a long time ago and never paid much attention to it.  It seemed like a novelty or something.  I thought maybe people would put their own homemade dressing in it.  I just found out, though, there was a commercial salad dressing by that name.  Below is an advertisement for the salad dressing and another product by the same company.


The bottle shown in the ad isn't like the one I found, but it is probably the same product.  Here is what I found about the manufacturer.

Fred Fear & Company was, at one time, the largest seller of pure maple syrup, clam juice, and Easter Egg colors in the United States. It was founded in 1892, and once operated plants in St. Johnsbury, VT, Brooklyn, NY, and Lewes, DE. In 1954, the company was acquired by the Childs Company.

---

Hyman Pickle Bottle From Lousiville Ky.



The bottle is embossed HYMAN PICKLES LOUISVILLE KY.

I haven't found much about this company or product other than what the bottle tells me.

---

We've had flat tides lately.  I've been hoping for a good low tide, although it was probably good that it didn't happen this week because I was so busy otherwise.

With these storms and tornados coming through, I have no doubt there would be some localized erosion.  Haven't had a chance to go check anything though.

Good hunting,

Treasureguide@comcast.net



(102) Using a 1942 RES-Q-LITE! - YouTube



While on the subject of artifacts, Laura Strolia wrote the following concerning a photo of a candlestick base and Holy Water container I recently posted.  It was in one of the artifact resource that I posted recently.  

The object on the right definitely looks like a Catholic Holy Water container (called an Aspersorium) from the 16th century. Priests sprinkled Holy Water over the faithful to bless them. The early Aspersoriums were brass with handles (I am assuming the handle broke off in the one shown). These religious vessels, which looked like pails, came in many sizes, as I have seen some half the size of the one in the picture. I am wondering, though, if the two objects were made in conjunction with each other so that the candlestick could easily be stored in the Aspersorium. Any priest on an expedition would appreciate that benefit!





Mistaking your present for the past.  


It is impossible to look at the world objectively.