Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 4, 2023

4/4/23 Report - Atlatl Point Found on Treasure Coast Could Be 10,000 Years Old. NASA Control. Bigger Surf.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Atlatl Point Found on Treasure Coast Beach.
Find and Photo by Doug R.

Yesterday I talked about some stone artifacts found on the Treasure Coast.  I left out an excellent example that might be something like 10,000 years old.  In my post I originally underestimated the age (as I tend to do when very old ages are discussed), but after Doug R. showed the same item to some of his colleagues, they were thinking something like 10,000 years old.

Doug R. just sent me this email. 

First let me thank you for all the work and effort that you put into your blog. It is greatly appreciated by many. If you go back to your blog post about Feb 7th 2020 you posted a picture I sent you of a all-atl point that I found in a shell line about a half mile above Wabasso Beach. It was during renourishment but I’m thinking maybe previous years. This February I didn’t bring it with me but I talked to Cory again at McClarty’s. He remembered it well and has apparently been showing the picture to some colleagues. He indicated it is probably agatized coral and came from the west coast. He wants to show it to several people so I’ll bring it next year. He dated it at about 10,000 years old.:

I was glad Doug updated me on the find so I could include it in my discussion of Treasure Coast stone artifact finds.  It is a great find - and very old.

I originally posted this find on 4/6/2020.  Here is the link.

Atlatls were used before bow and arrows and allowed throwing a dart with more force and a greater distance than a hand thrown spear.

Here is a link for more about atlatls.

1st Americans Used Spear-Throwers to Hunt Large Animals | Live Science

Like conch horns, atlatls are still being made and sold online.

----

Talking about projecting things through space, they are doing a kind of  archaeological inventory of the old NASA control center.

In March 2009, Joan Deming and Trish Slovinac inspected the historic artifacts which remain in the Flight Control Area (Room 253), as well as the adjacent historically significant rooms, which include the Flight Control Briefing Room (Room 221), the NST Room (Room 222), Data Analysis Room (Room 223), the Raised Viewing Area (Room 250), plus the north corridor (221A). In addition, the Gemini Training Room (Room 211) and the Telemetry & Capsule Communications (Room 231) and other areas on Figure 1 within the MCC areas (Figure 1) were checked for the presence of additional artifacts... 

I have a hard time calling that archaeology, which I think of as involving the more distant past, but I can sympathize with saving some of the history of the space race for the future.  Space memorabilia seems to be very popular already.

Here is the link.

Microsoft Word - Inventory report.doc (nasa.gov)

On a related note, I used to talk about those melted pieces of aluminum or titanium picked up by detectorists.  I haven't heard so much about those recently.  Have they mostly been removed, or is it just because I haven't been out on the beach so much lately?

---

Seems like things are heating up and La Nino will bring us a good number of storms this year.

Here are a couple articles on that.

The US leads the world in weather catastrophes. Here's why | AP News

El Niño is coming. Here are 6 weather and climate impacts to watch for | CNN

We had a mild winter with not much erosion overall.  The beaches also received a lot of renourishment sand.

---

Source: MagicSeaWeed.com

There is a big increase predicted for a week from now, but I'd give that less than a 50 percent chance of actually happening.  The longer term predictions like that tend to fluctuate, and for the big ones, more often than not, they decrease.  We'll see.  Would certainly be nice to get some big surf before summer sets in.

-

2 Thessalonians 2:7   For the secret power of lawlessness is already at work; but the one who now holds it back will continue to do so till he is taken out of the way.